Oops... What to do?? (Forgot to unplug my heater)

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I forgot to unplug my heater and I unplugged it when I realized a bit later... It was lightly burning my plants cause my swords were laying on it...
I took some water on my fingers and flicked it onto the heater and it sizzled... Not good at all...
What do I do?? Is it safe to still use?? Did I unplug it in time?

So I forgot to unplug my heater and I unplugged it when I realized a bit later... It was lightly burning my plants cause my swords were laying on it...
I took some water on my fingers and flicked it onto the heater and it sizzled... Not good at all...
What do I do?? Is it safe to still use?? Did I unplug it in time?
Oh, and all this was during a water change by the way lol

I have an Ebo Jager 300 watt heater and I have done the same to it a few times. I melted the mounting clips. I still use mine, though I let it cool dry so that it doesn't pull water in past the seals as it cools. The internal seals will only be able to support so much of a vacuum.

A shorter heater might not fair as well due to the electronics and seals being closer to the heating element. You will have to assess the heater and accept some risk if you continue to use it.

I have mostly gone to horizontally mounted heaters near the bottom because the situation you and I have encountered doesn't ever occur because the heater is always submerged.

Been there, done that! And I'm sure it won't be the last time you do it, just one of those things. Wait for it to cool down a bit before you put it into water, you may risk it cracking otherwise

I have an Ebo Jager 300 watt heater and I have done the same to it a few times. I melted the mounting clips. I still use mine, though I let it cool dry so that it doesn't pull water in past the seals as it cools. The internal seals will only be able to support so much of a vacuum.

A shorter heater might not fair as well due to the electronics and seals being closer to the heating element. You will have to assess the heater and accept some risk if you continue to use it.

I have mostly gone to horizontally mounted heaters near the bottom because the situation you and I have encountered doesn't ever occur because the heater is always submerged.
Thanks!!
Mine is a fluval m-series 150w...

I have mine placed horizontally as well... Part of the reason I never thought to unplug it... But I went too low on the water change this time and it was out of water for a bit...
Been there, done that! And I'm sure it won't be the last time you do it, just one of those things. Wait for it to cool down a bit before you put it into water, you may risk it cracking otherwise
I don't see any cracks and it's under water now, just not plugged in... I THINK it may be ok... Idk though. A bit uneasy lol

Thanks!!
Mine is a fluval m-series 150w...

I have mine placed horizontally as well... Part of the reason I never thought to unplug it... But I went too low on the water change this time and it was out of water for a bit...

I don't see any cracks and it's under water now, just not plugged in... I THINK it may be ok... Idk though. A bit uneasy lol

For the first 10 years of keeping fish, I didn't know you had to unplug them at water changes....

For the first 10 years of keeping fish, I didn't know you had to unplug them at water changes....
Ummm... Yahhh... 😬 They state it on the instructions... It's a fire and electrical risk when it's not in water

Ummm... Yahhh... 😬 They state it on the instructions... It's a fire and electrical risk when it's not in water
Yeah but who reads instructions anyway 😂

I would try to argue that surely you don't need to read the instructions... but I clearly did...

Have you plugged it in yet?
If you're concerned, put it in a bucket of water, fully submerged, and plug in. Don't put your hand in the water while it plugged in.
Unplug after 5 minutes or so, if the water is warm it's good to use.

Have you plugged it in yet?
If you're concerned, put it in a bucket of water, fully submerged, and plug in. Don't put your hand in the water while it plugged in.
Unplug after 5 minutes or so, if the water is warm it's good to use.
I might try that! Thank you!!

I am another that mounts my heater horizontal and low in the tank to avoid any such issue.

Would I use your heater now? To be honest, probably not but I'm a little paranoid about such things. My concern would be damage that may have happened that is not currently apparent but could surface later. My main concern would be damage to the temperature sensor within the heater. If a month later this sensor fails you could well have poached fish.

I would also be concerned about you flicking water on the heater and having it sizzle. Putting water on hot glass is the last thing that you want to do as it can cause thermal fractures that you can't even see but can be a later issue.

No, I would not use this heater.

I am another that mounts my heater horizontal and low in the tank to avoid any such issue.

Would I use your heater now? To be honest, probably not but I'm a little paranoid about such things. My concern would be damage that may have happened that is not currently apparent but could surface later. My main concern would be damage to the temperature sensor within the heater. If a month later this sensor fails you could well have poached fish.

I would also be concerned about you flicking water on the heater and having it sizzle. Putting water on hot glass is the last thing that you want to do as it can cause thermal fractures that you can't even see but can be a later issue.

No, I would not use this heater.
Hmm... I'll keep an eye out for those issues and I won't use it when I'm away for extended periods... I could put it in my 10g and monitor it...

Most reactions

Back