OMG!!! HYDRAS!

Styx

Fish Addict
Reaction score
There’s these things jerking around in the water that look like hydras! I think I’m missing fry! THEY’RE EATING MY BABIES! The fry are only a day old! WHAT DO I DO?! *Freaks out*

ahh! im trying to think of sumthin but a water change i dont think will get rid of em. ill be back, lemme research sumthin......TO THE GOOGLE!

BACK! ok, they recommended salt and a current, hydras are strictly fresh water, even thogh they have relatives that are marine, they cant tolerate salt. hydras also have trouble liveing in moveing water, they can not actively move on their own, they are very much like jelly fish and have no way to propell themselves throgh the water, adding a light current will make it difficult for them to reproduce and catch food.

i know baby bettas dont take well to changing water conditions and the salt idea is out, i dont recommend changeing out water to adding any strong meds. all i can say is add a bubble stone to get a current going. once the fry are free swimming u will have to turn it off thogh as they will be blown around quite a bit.

and a quick question, is the father in the tank with them? if he is careing for them they will be much better off as he moves them around. im sry i couldn't be more help i dont know much about micro bacteria in aquariums thogh im sure i have plenty in mine.

Thanks for trying. *Whines* My poor babies. I wish there was something that would eat a hydra, but not a fry!

I'll go get a filter tomorrow and see what I can rig up (too late now), the father is in there with them still. He's doing a good job, even though I've got my hands in there all the time. I'm trying to suck them out with an eyedropper...

well i know nothing about hydras...but you could try to add a shrimp?
you might wanna be careful with the shrimp but one might be what you need.

In the meantime, net out any survivors. They'll have a better chance in some other container. Scooping up the nest in a bowl might work. Hang in there mate.

Don't add a shrimp. Shrimp eat fry.

Netting them WILL kill them...if you can catch them at all at that size. Your only bet at getting them out of that tank is getting them and their dad in a cup and straight into another tank with identical conditions, and that may still kill most of them.

Wow, i've always been interested in hydras... where did they come from? are you sure they're hydras and not something else?

Hydra are generally attached to a surface, so are you sure that's what they are? The "jerking around in the water" description is throwing me off

JoLtNbolt -- Hydra can come in through tap water during one of their developmental stages, I think, and they are often introduced to a tank through live plants.

I had hydra in my fry tank for a while, but I don't think they were actually large enough to *eat* the fry... not that I would have noticed missing fry in a batch of nearly 200 -_-
Afraid that doing anything else would harm the fry, after the father was taken out of the tank, I manually removed them. Yes, it takes a lot of time and a keen eye, but it was the safest thing for my fry (and hey, I had nothing better to do). I took a pipette and gently blew debris from one side of the tank to the other. Anything that stuck to the glass was assumed to be the enemy and was suctioned out with the pipette and deposited in an empty drinking glass. I just squished any hydra stuck to the sides with my finger and slid them out :p

Not when they're the same size as the hydra :p
I think they do, though... my hydra problem disappeared once the fry got a little bigger, and that's the only thing I can think of that might have happened.

I USE A 9V PP3 BATTERY WITH 2 WIRES ATTACHED TO IT.
PLACE THE ENDS OF THE WIRE IN THE TANK AND LEAVE FOR ABOUT 10-20 MINS. HYDRA ARE KILLED BY THE ELECTRIC CURRENT.
PLEASE WATCH THE FRY AS SOME FISH ARE SENSITIVE TO THE CURRENT ALSO. FIRST SIGNS OF FRY TROUBLE GET THE WIRES OUT OF THE TANK.
THERE IS LITTLE ELSE U CAN DO EXCEPT STRIP THE TANK DOWN WHICH IS NOT ADVISABLE AS KIARRA SAID.GOOD HUNTING

I am so sorry about this as I truly do feel for you guppydude but....
My sick sick mind just saw little electrified things...frazzled I think is the word!
Keith565 - it actually sounds like a wonderful idea and if the fry can stand it it might just work...however....I'd probably end up electrocuting myself!! The idea of electrifying things has got me in stitches!! Sounds like fun!! :rofl: As long as none of the fish get hurt anyway!
Sorry but I had to share! :*)
Love to the fry!! Good luck...let us know what you decide to do and if it works!!

found this on the internet, that if you use a tablespoon of vinegar for every two gallons, this kills hydra. Of course, remove fish first.

Most reactions

Back