Oldest ever raphael (Stiped Dora) catfish ? 47 years old

2 sheds

Reaction score
Some may know about my Stripped Dora catfish, which I purhased in 1974.
Sadly passed away 3 days ago , at 47 + years old
I don't think they were imported before mid 70s so unlikely to be any older ones, also not many nutters that keep fish so long , he moved house quite a few times, had a good life and appropriate burial.
Updated to show of image of Raph from some years ago Tim
Screenshot_20211222_210224_com.instagram.android_edit_105975530271328.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's amazing. Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like he had an amazing run. How big was he, and what finally did him in?

Also, I see you've been a member since 2012, and only seven posts. I admire your restraint. :)

Wow, that's amazing. Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like he had an amazing run. How big was he, and what finally did him in?

Also, I see you've been a member since 2012, and only seven posts. I admire your restraint. :)
Haha . he was about 8inches long, I think or assume old age got him, tank was healthy, he looked quite worn out for last 20 years

I don't think they were imported before mid 70s so unlikely to be any older ones, also not many nutters that keep fish so long , he moved house quite a few times, had a good life and appropriate burial.
A bit odd posting a picture of a dead fish, but he deserves recognition :D Tim
View attachment 150450
utterly disgusting & depressing . surely you could have found a earlier photo.

Do they dig a lot? I have a planted South America tank that would be a great home for a couple of these. But I hate it when fish burrow.
Not as such, they will clear a space under bog wood etc,
utterly disgusting & depressing . surely you could have found a earlier photo.
Apologies for upsetting you, if others feel the same I will delete image with respect

Do you have a nice live pic of your fish? I can tell it was beautiful once upon a time

Oh no! 47 years is impressive though! :)

A bit odd posting a picture of a dead fish, but he deserves recognition :D Tim
View attachment 150450

Not as such, they will clear a space under bog wood etc,

Apologies for upsetting you, if others feel the same I will delete image with respect

Wow!!!!! That is extremely impressive as after googling it appears they normally online live 10-15 years. Whatever you were doing, you were doing it right!

I don't think that you should have to remove the photo. This forum is littered with photos of dead fish - though typically with the intention of helping identify what killed it. It's obvious to me that this fish was important to you and if you have a better picture to show him in his prime, you would have used it. My advice to those that don't like it - don't follow this thread any more.

Absolutely wonderful, to have a fish that could outlive several generations of cats or dogs or even a person is truly a fantastic feat. Beautiful looking fish too, dead or alive. Doubt there are many fish owned by forum members who reach that age, regardless of the species!

To have a fish live and thrive that long is amazing. Good work - and the photo isn't disgusting - just unfortunate for him or her. The fish looks better there than some of the ones I see in local pet stores.

It's hard to keep a fish that long. People often want turnover, and novelties, and that keeps them from learning about the fish they have. I've never kept a raphael, but if I ever decide to, I think I just found someone online who is going to know a thing or two about how it's done well.

Wow! Congrats for carimg for him as best as you could! I'm sorry for your loss as he has been with you for a looong time. Rest in peace Raphael.

I'm sure you feel really bad about losing your catfish that you've had for 47 years. The photo is fine....no need to remove it. Sorry for your loss.

Most reactions

Back