Tank size: 25 gallon
pH: 7.5
ammonia:somewhere between .02 and .05
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5 ppm
kH: 89
gH: 75
tank temp: 80 F

I have just taken an old tank, filled it again, and added fish that I had in an existing healthy tank in my house.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): 2 guppies died, 2 red-eyed lyretail's lying and gasping at bottom, 2 gouramis immediately turned red at their gills. They were immediately removed and placed in the tank that I had transferred them from.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: This is an old tank which has been in my garage for about a month. I re-filled it today and added 'tetra safestart' and a water conditioner.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Standard carbon 'sleeve' in an aqueon filter, and stress-zyme water conditioner 'with bacteria'. Also the safestart

Tank inhabitants: The 2 guppies died, I removed the pearl gouramis after checking on them 20 or so minutes after adding them, and the red-eyes are still in the tank but are stable.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): I added new substrate, new fake driftwood, and transferred real and fake plants from an existing healthy tank I have.

Exposure to chemicals: Since the symptoms began, I added Melaluca (sp?) and Prime. (as well as the products listed above that I added immediately upon filling)

Digital photo attached

I did not clean this tank very well. Nor did I clean the filter more than with a dry towel. I figured that some beneficial bacteria may still be there, but now I see that there is no way it could have lived in an empty aquarium and a filter not in use. Water is testing ok, but these Gouramis literally got sick in under 20 mins. They are in their old tank and seem to be getting a little bit better, but still are at the top of the tank getting air, and the small one swims very disoriented. Their gills are still red.

Also- The reason I took this old aquarium out and set it up again is because the lyretails were acting lethargic, laying at the bottom, fins looked thin, etc... in my existing old tank. The water conditions are perfect. I figured that the other fish were too aggressive, and that the lyretails were just stressed. That is when I decided to buy new substrate, a fixture, transfer some plants, and place them in my re-filled old tank. I figured the Gouramis would like a nice new home too. I just don't get it. Could the tank have developed bacteria? There was still some sand and a bit of moisture at the bottom when I filled it with the new stuff. I was planning on reusing the tank sooner, but I believe it's been about a month sitting.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope someone can help.
Sincerely,
Joe

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 90
The first problem is that you have ammonia present. You need to perform a 75% water change. The next day do the same. Once ammonia is at 0, test daily and set up a weekly regiment of 50% water change. Any ammonia and you will need to do the 75% again. I also see a problem with your temperature. 80F is too warm IMO. I have my live bearers at 76F. You say the fish were gasping and have red gills. This is from being exposed to ammonia (most likely). There are other things I would change(take the carbon out) but you need to concentrate on getting the water healthy first. You should have cleaned the old tank first but that doesn't help you now. Something to know for next time. The fish were not doing well before you transferred them over so they were already under stress plus the stress of moving them to the dirty tank put them over the edge.

If you plan on lowering the temp, do so slowly, over a day or two.

The first problem is that you have ammonia present. You need to perform a 75% water change. The next day do the same. Once ammonia is at 0, test daily and set up a weekly regiment of 50% water change. Any ammonia and you will need to do the 75% again. I also see a problem with your temperature. 80F is too warm IMO. I have my live bearers at 76F. You say the fish were gasping and have red gills. This is from being exposed to ammonia (most likely). There are other things I would change(take the carbon out) but you need to concentrate on getting the water healthy first. You should have cleaned the old tank first but that doesn't help you now. Something to know for next time. The fish were not doing well before you transferred them over so they were already under stress plus the stress of moving them to the dirty tank put them over the edge.

If you plan on lowering the temp, do so slowly, over a day or two.

Thank you so much for replying. I know there's alot of info here. So you don't think there's anything bacterial going on here (dirty tank, dirty filter)? God, I feel so dumb about that.
I will do water changes daily and use prime instead of 'stress-zyme' to dechlorinate and provide slime coat. Should I stop using the Melealuca (sp?) - antibacterial solution?

The smaller Gourami unfurtunately died last night, but the larger one is doing well in the tank I put him back in (his original one). Surprisingly the red-eyed lyretails are moving a little more in the new tank. Maybe they're becoming more acclimated. I will do a water change when I get home.

Last question- I need the tank to cycle, so when do you think It will be safe to add a few hearty fish to help cycle? I'll also use safe-start again after a few days of doing water changes.

Thanks again,
Joe

You can add fish when you have 0 ammonia consistently for 2 weeks. A fishless cycle can take awhile so I hope you're patient. Now me personally, I have used Seachem Stability to a new tank and I add fish within the week. I don't recommend doing this unless you can put in the time and effort to test the water daily and commit to a lot of water changes. I can't comment on whether or not there is a bacterial problem as I can't see the tank. When fish gasp, it's usually ammonia. Stop using the Melafix, just get the water clean for now. Water changes are going to be the biggest help for your fish at the moment. There was a thread about Bacterial Additives and using Safestart from one of the other members and he didn't have any luck with it working by the sounds of it so I would take a look at that thread(very long just to warn you).

Most reactions

Back