Old Guppies

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was thinking how boring my guppies are.  They don't actually swim around that much anymore.... then it occurred to me that the youngest two are thereabouts 1 1/2 years old and the older two are 2 years old and a touch.  So... pretty much in guppy speak they are all old.  They are in their usual health.

(I do currently have a platy with a fungus problem, dot above its eye, did go away but has come back again).

Ultimately... out of 8 fish... only 3 make a habit of swimming around and doing stuff.  My two calico platies and one of my coral blue platies.... the 4 guppies don't do anything and the guppy currently with fungus doesn't do much... it is a bit angry with me and hiding because I tried to catch it this morning to separate her.

Oh yeah.... I did mean to include a question.  LOL

What behavior do old guppies exhibit? 

I had a big red and black spotted female from the LFS and she had this outstanding blue male with a huge tail and dorsal fin.  I named him Azure.  He was practically a show fish!  Then when he got old his tail started hanging and he sort of swam slightly vertical, if you know what I mean.  He also wasn't as quick with the ladies. :)  He died of old age sadly a few months after he started slowing down.  He was one cool fish. :)

Yes, one of my oldest remaining females has that vertical swimming thing, has done for several months now.

Well, I had a guppy live to 4 years, which is pretty neat for a guppy. He was all good until the last month, then he was all slow. I guess as they get old they get tired.

I know, but now he has died. It was not too long ago that he passed away. Now my oldest guppies are about 1 and half years old

Most reactions

Back