Old Dog, Difficult Decision (+question about toys)

gilltyascharged

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday we took our two dogs in for their annual shots. We used it as an opportunity to ask the vet about our older dog, Max, and just check to make sure everything's okay. Everything looked decent—that is, until they found a fractured tooth. They told us that, while it wasn't horrible now, they were worried about it abscessing sooner than later. Normally isn't a huge deal (most of the time the tooth is removed before it causes any issues), but Max is 11-13 years old, meaning he is at an increased risk for passing away under anesthesia.
When this was brought to the attention of my mother (she was at work during the appointment), she made it very clear that she was not willing to have Max go under for a procedure.

Some background on why she may have said this: about 6 years ago, we had a kitten (seemingly healthy, 6-7 mths old) go in for a routine spay and pass away under the anesthetic due to an underlying heart condition. Fast forward, and last year we spent nearly $3,500 dollars on one of our cats in vet bills for emergency services (not one, but two urinary blockages). We have paid about $600 since then on prescription food for said cat, and another $300 in the last month after one of our cats suddenly passed (necropsy and cremation). To have Max put under, we not only run the risk of him passing, but must then pay for the cost of the procedure, pain medications, his stay at the vet (likely to monitor his condition), and mandatory preoperative blood work. Overall, we will likely be paying some ~$800 for this.

This leaves us with two decisions: do we have Max go under anesthesia for a process he may not survive, or simply have him put to sleep if an abscess forms (the infection would eat away at his jaw bone, causing immense pain and damage)?

In the meantime, the vet has said that he really shouldn't be having any more hard bones (a favorite of his). Do you guys have any suggestion on some chew toys for senior dogs? He's a vigorous chewer, but he really can't be chewing on the toys made for that chew level. The fractured tooth is on his top right molar (the ones used for chewing), so that also complicates things. If you guys have any suggestions and/or experience with this, I would love to hear it!

**EDIT: corrected the placement of the tooth from bottom to top molar**

Last edited:
The rubber toys made by the brand KONG are very good. They have different hardness levels, so maybe go for one of the medium strength toys. All the dogs in my life have loved them. Their classic toy shape is hollow and can be filled with treats, but they make rubber toys in other shapes if Max doesn't like the traditional one.

Get the tooth fixed and make sure the vet doesn't use too much anesthetic or keep the dog under it too long.

Medical expenses for pets, have started reaching the same level as humans ( often the same equipment and skills are required) I have one of my workers, at the plant who took a weeks vacation, to take his dog, to the University of Iowa Animal medical center, for a quoted $7,000.00 surgery, and there as a chance, it was cancer, and the dog would die soon anyway ( if it was cancerous ) another employee, had the vet put his dog down, after the only option was a$10,000.00 surgery… we want the best for our pets, but treatment costs are often too much to pay out of pocket… yep, there are pet health insurance providers… but whatever we choose, we should be responsible, if we have pets, to make sure they don’t suffer… I’ve personally put down several of our pets… it’s often more difficult, if we’ve had them a while, but that doesn’t make their pain or suffering any less real…
Keep your pet… either get the tooth pulled, or watch them closely, but don’t let them suffer…

On the chews, there are some, that are not rawhide, not sure of their composition, but they are softer than bones and edible, but they are “bone like” not baked treat like… our dogs love them, they aren’t a Walmart brand, but I pick them up there..

Last edited:
Medical expenses for pets, have started reaching the same level as humans ( often the same equipment and skills are required) I have one of my workers, at the plant who took a weeks vacation, to take his dog, to the University of Iowa Animal medical center, for a quoted $7,000.00 surgery, and there as a chance, it was cancer, and the dog would die soon anyway ( if it was cancerous ) another employee, had the vet put his dog down, after the only option was a$10,000.00 surgery… we want the best for our pets, but treatment costs are often too much to pay out of pocket… yep, there are pet health insurance providers… but whatever we choose, we should be responsible, if we have pets, to make sure they don’t suffer… I’ve personally put down several of our pets… it’s often more difficult, if we’ve had them a while, but that doesn’t make their pain or suffering any less real…
Keep your pet… either get the tooth pulled, or watch them closely, but don’t let them suffer…

On the chews, there are some, that are not rawhide, not sure of their composition, but they are softer than bones and edible, but they are “bone like” not baked treat like… our dogs love them, they aren’t a Walmart brand, but I pick them up there..
A couple of years ago, we had to put down our 8yo cat, Olaf, after he had been suffering from chronic kidney failure for several months. About three years prior we had spent about $4,000 on IV treatments and a week of hospitalization when his kidneys were failing, but he recovered and the vet deemed it acute kidney failure (likely from him getting into something). This was another cat who we had on prescription food (constant UTIs, helped keep his bladder healthy), so it wouldn't surprise me if we spent a pretty penny on him throughout his life. We ended up learning how to do the IVs ourselves, and did it on my desk (I was about 13 at the time) every morning for two weeks to make him comfortable. He let us know when it was time to let him go, as my mother's "shoulder cat" became despondent and hid away. I think we made the right decision then, but the difference in that situation and this one was that Olaf wasn't particularly old for a cat, nor did he have any particular sensitivities for the procedure.

Get the tooth fixed and make sure the vet doesn't use too much anesthetic or keep the dog under it too long.
That's what I hope my parents decide, but being a teen I have very little weight in the household's decision making--especially when it comes to pet medical decisions.

Is there on option 3 of close and careful monitoring with immediate treatment if an absess begins to form??
Yes and no... While we will be monitoring the tooth in the meantime, the real issue is what happens when the abscess forms. At his age, my mom does not want him to go under--she feels it's too much of a risk. However, that makes the only other option to put him down if an abscess forms 😟

The rubber toys made by the brand KONG are very good. They have different hardness levels, so maybe go for one of the medium strength toys. All the dogs in my life have loved them. Their classic toy shape is hollow and can be filled with treats, but they make rubber toys in other shapes if Max doesn't like the traditional one.
If it has "treats" in the name, I doubt Max would have any issue with that! Anything that can be stuffed with food is top of the list in his book 🤣

Yes and no... While we will be monitoring the tooth in the meantime, the real issue is what happens when the abscess forms. At his age, my mom does not want him to go under--she feels it's too much of a risk. However, that makes the only other option to put him down if an abscess forms 😟
The vet wouldn't have suggested the procedure if Max was high risk with his heart. He's old, but he's not ancient.
Maybe ring round a couple of vets receptionists for a second and third opinion to see if that will change your mum's mind? Am I right in assuming it is your mum's dog?

The vet wouldn't have suggested the procedure if Max was high risk with his heart. He's old, but he's not ancient.
Maybe ring round a couple of vets receptionists for a second and third opinion to see if that will change your mum's mind? Am I right in assuming it is your mum's dog?
Max is the family dog, but my mom's opinion has a huge impact on what her and my dad choose to do. I will admit that for the vet's part, she didn't realize how old Max was at first. When my dad first raised concerns, the vet was confused until my dad pointed out that he was about 13 years old, at which she just said "oh my," and told us she never would have thought (I'd like to think of him as the Harrison Ford of dogs). That's when we began discussing the extensive blood work that would be required to see if he'd even be eligible to go under. While I wouldn't be quite as concerned if he was a much smaller dog (where 16-20yo is elderly), but with him being a 65 lb. aussie/sheltie (medium-large), that puts his estimated lifespan at about 12-14yo.

Max is the family dog, but my mom's opinion has a huge impact on what her and my dad choose to do. I will admit that for the vet's part, she didn't realize how old Max was at first. When my dad first raised concerns, the vet was confused until my dad pointed out that he was about 13 years old, at which she just said "oh my," and told us she never would have thought (I'd like to think of him as the Harrison Ford of dogs). That's when we began discussing the extensive blood work that would be required to see if he'd even be eligible to go under. While I wouldn't be quite as concerned if he was a much smaller dog (where 16-20yo is elderly), but with him being a 65 lb. aussie/sheltie (medium-large), that puts his estimated lifespan at about 12-14yo.
Although chronological age is a big factor, it is also relative. Your dad says he’s ‘about’ 13 and the vet is shocked so we could conclude Max is a young 13 or less and has a fair amount of life to live. Bloods would be a good indicator and the vets advice is going to be far more accurate than anything we could recommend. Make another appointment for the vet to talk to your mum. To show how strongly you feel, you could offer to use your own money to pay for the consultation.

Although chronological age is a big factor, it is also relative. Your dad says he’s ‘about’ 13 and the vet is shocked so we could conclude Max is a young 13 or less and has a fair amount of life to live. Bloods would be a good indicator and the vets advice is going to be far more accurate than anything we could recommend. Make another appointment for the vet to talk to your mum. To show how strongly you feel, you could offer to use your own money to pay for the consultation.
I actually really like this idea...now to get a job and a driver's license! (But in all seriousness, this actually made me feel somewhat better about the situation :))

Most reactions

Back