Ok...

Zafirah

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was at a local LFS that i had never been to before.
went to check out there fish. Saw a small tank of fish that was labeled feeder guppies
At a closer inspection i was able to tell that they were ENDLERS!
And guess what!!!!!!!!!!
they were 5 for 1$
so i think i might go back and get like 10 of em
how fast do they mulitply. Im pretty sure they were enlders. They were smaller than guppies
the females looked really plain and all grey. The males were slimmer and had blue and red blotches on them
they looked just like enlders...
thanks, zaffy

I was at a local LFS that i had never been to before.
went to check out there fish. Saw a small tank of fish that was labeled feeder guppies
At a closer inspection i was able to tell that they were ENDLERS!
And guess what!!!!!!!!!!
they were 5 for 1$
so i think i might go back and get like 10 of em
how fast do they mulitply. Im pretty sure they were enlders. They were smaller than guppies
the females looked really plain and all grey. The males were slimmer and had blue and red blotches on them
they looked just like enlders...
thanks, zaffy
They're most likely your typical wild-type guppies. Endler's and guppies are very closely related (and can interbreed) and the wild-types do look fairly similar to the Endler's (which are "wild type" Endler's, as they haven't been bred for fancy variations to the same degree that guppies have). You could certainly try them, but you'd have no guarantee of purity and it would be unethical to breed and sell them as "Endler's".

poecilidae_domrep1.jpg
200662943118_wild.jpg
Guppy_wild_BELEM.jpg

wild-type guppy males

endlermale.jpg

Endler's livebearer male

There are a few differences to look for: wild guppies, generally, have a few black SPOTS. Endler's have the distinctive black "comma" bar across the front half of their bodies. Wild guppies can have orange, red, blue, pale green, white, blotches. True-type Endler's ONLY have the bright orange and neon green on the body--no red, and if they have any blue at all it will be on the dorsal fin. ANY reticulation ("snakeskin" pattern) means you have a guppy. Any color on any of the females means you have a guppy.

Based on those pictures, a store here has them 15 for a $1, some being guppies and some being Endlers. Not a bad find.
If a store has a single tank of 'em, there's no guarantee any of them are pure at this point. In fact, it's incredibly unlikely. The two can and do interbreed extremely easily, so being tanked together the ones that "look" like Endler's are almost guaranteed to be hybrids. Endler's hybrids show up pretty often, both in feeder and "fancy" guppy tanks at fish stores these days. Getting the real thing is a lot more difficult--especially the females, it's very difficult to distinguish the females of the two species in an overcrowded tank, and you have no idea what species they'd been impregnated by. Get 'em if you like 'em, of course, but there's no ethical way to say that "Endler's" you have out of a mixed tank are pure. Billing them as "Endler's hybrids" if you sell them is fine, but they're not gonna be true Endler's.

Endlers have all the same trates and have taken science over 30 years to describe true endlers as not being a guppy but to be P. wengi.

So please never buy anything then say their endlers and the true endlers are quite rare and even the stuff shop's get are usualy guppy crosses.

endlers-r-uk.co.uk

Most reactions

Back