Ok, this is weird.

AquaQueen

Reaction score
One of my platys had pop eye week before last and then it went back to normal and she was acting fine. Well today both of her eyes are cloudy and one looks like a piece of it is coming off. She is rubbing her belly on the side of the tank. I don't know if its because she can't see or something else is bothering her. Any thoughts? All of the other fish are acting fine.

Nep

30 gallon
2 swordtails
5 platies

Hi AquaQueen,

Most of the time, cloudy eye is caused by poor water conditions. Please check your water and post your results, and we can go from there. Have you recently added any new fish (within the last month)? For the time being, I would do a 10-15% water change until the cause is identified. Any info on your regular maintenance schedule will also help. How long has the tank been set up and running? Also check and see if there is a lot of floating debris in the water.

Thanks Mogo. All of the water parameters are fine. Those were the first things I checked. Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, PH 8.0. Temp is fine. Did a 10% water change 2 weeks ago. Tank has been up and running for about 2.5 months now. Just added new fish about a month ago. She is the only one I have had problems with . No floating debris in the tank.

Nep

You didn't list nitrate, have you tested for this? Please check the nitrates and post. Right now perform a water change. Also, check your organic load in the filter and in your substrate. If your nitrates also show as zero, we'll have to start sorting out other possibilities. Are you conditioning the water before adding it to the tank? Please check the nitrates and we'll go from there.

Hi AquaQueen :)

I agree that you should do a water change. Imho, water changes help almost anything. I'm also wondering if you have any salt in your water. Platies and swords are both very tolerant of, even grateful for, a bit of salt in their water. Livebearers are prone to a certain eye fungus that grows over their eyes, making them appear cloudy and as if bits are coming off. The salt is very helpful in treating and preventing it. If you do already use salt, how much are you putting in?

Also, you said you did a 10% water change 2 weeks ago. If you're only doing water changes every two weeks, I'd recommend that you change more like 30 - 35% of the water. Actually, I'd recommend that you do them once a week, and change about 15%.

Ok guys, just checked the nitrate levels and those are 0 also. I will do a water change in a bit and also will add salt. How much do I add for 30 gallons? I will change the filter today too while I'm at the pet store.

Nep

If your tank is fully cycled nitrate levels shouldn't be at 0. Is your tank planted? Also I wouldn't suggest changing your filter and doing a water change at the same time. Do you use a dechorinator that removes chloramine and trace hard metals as well as chlorine? I can't help with salt coz I've never used it myself - my sailfin mollies are doing fine without it, breeding like rabbits and living long lives.

I wouldn't change your filter, either. Changing your filter and changing your water are two very separate things with very different results. If your filter doesn't seem to be working properly, give the filter media a good rinse in some dirty tank water, but not until several days after doing the water change. As for salt, that's a greatly varying opinion. Some people say no salt, some say 1 tablespoon per five gallons, some say 1 teaspoon per 1 gallon, I've even heard people say 1 tablespoon per gallon. I'd start with 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt, well dissolved in a cup of tank water. Add another 3 tomorrow. Wait a few days. If the fungus isn't improving or is worse, add 3 more tablespoons. Don't add more than that, and keep track of how many gallons of water you remove at water changes so you can replace the appropriate amount of salt. If you don't want to use salt on a regular basis (I do, but as gadazobe has said, not all people do), just don't replace it when you do water changes and it will slowly do away as you replace the salted water with fresh.

Salt is a good place to start for the time being. Follow Aquanut's directions (3tbs one day, and 3tbs the next) this will give you approximately a 0.1% solution. If you have a hospital tank, I would recommend the fish be relocated into it, as I usually bring the solution higher for already established infections. You may want to do small 5-10% wc daily for the next few days, if the problem is stemming from water conditions, this will usually fix the problem, and prevent other fish from suffering the same problem. Keep a close eye on the other fish, for even a slight sign of cloudiness.

Another step you may want to take right now is to add a multi-vitamin to the water, available at most LFS. Sometimes eye problems stem from vitamin deficiency, and this will help eliminate that possibility.

You'll need to take a close look at the fishes eye right now. Using a magnifying glass will help but is not necessary. Look closely at the pupil. This is going to be hard to explain, but bare with me. Does it look like the pupil is turning white from the inside? You'll have to look beyond the outer cloudiness to check this. Check for any little bumps (usually white) sticking out.

Other bits of information that will be usefull...

How often is the fish scratching and are other fish doing it.
Is the fish yawning, coughing/burping, or twitching it's fins.
Does the fish look fat, or skinny.
Are droppings normal.
Is the fish less active, ie: resting on bottom or hiding.
Feeding, normal or decreased.
Do the scales look like they are slightly sticking out, and if so, can you see little bits of white stuff underneath. To check this, don't look at the fish from behind, as the overlapping of the scales will give the appearance of slightly lifted scales especially on larger fish. Check by looking directly at the side of the fish, and then check from above.

Give the fish a good close look and check for any abnormal marks, spots etc.

Ok, to answer a couple questions first. Yes I do de chlorinate when I do my water changes. No, I don't have a hospital tank.

She is acting fine right now, she looks fine except for her eyes. I only see cloudyness in them and the one is sticking out further then the other. I see no white spots in them. She hasn't brushed against the side of the tank since I saw her do it yesterday and everyone else is looking and acting fine. This is the second time I have had problems with this particular fish. Is she just sensitive to something? Oh and her poop looks fine also.

Nep

What about the other questions? :huh: The more info, the more accurate the diagnosis.

So when you say the cloudiness is in the eye, you mean below the jelly like outer layer of the eye, or is the cloudiness just on the surface, or both?

The reason I ask so many questions is because the same fish had suffered from popeye just recently. I'm just trying to sort out what is the underlying cause, especially since you say one eye is beginning to bulge again. In most cases, popeye is a potential sign of more serious problems, and without more info, diagnosis is difficult if not impossible.

Please answer all the questions I asked, and we'll go from there.

Ok sorry, I'm trying to do this while chasing around my 1 and 2 year old. :eek:

How often is the fish scratching and are other fish doing it. She is no longer scratching and no one else is either.

Is the fish yawning, coughing/burping, or twitching it's fins. She is not doing any of these.

Does the fish look fat, or skinny. She looks just right.

Are droppings normal. Yes

Is the fish less active, ie: resting on bottom or hiding. No, she is swimming around like normal.

Feeding, normal or decreased. Normal.

Do the scales look like they are slightly sticking out, and if so, can you see little bits of white stuff underneath. To check this, don't look at the fish from behind, as the overlapping of the scales will give the appearance of slightly lifted scales especially on larger fish. Check by looking directly at the side of the fish, and then check from above. No, her scales look fine.

It is just her eyes. I just tried to really get a good look again, but she is swimming around so much I can't tell. It looks like it is cloudy between the eye and the film that is sticking out. I hope that makes sense.

I did a 30 percent water change and added some Stress Zyme in. It is supposed to help the fish with toxins and stuff. It has good bacteria's in it.

Quite a handful at that age, aren't they :lol:

So, part of the cloudiness looks like it's sticking out, does it kind of look like it comes up in a peak, like a cone shape or nipple? When you get a chance, take a really close look at the eye. The reason I need a good description, is I would like to rule out the possibility of it being parasitic ie: an eye fluke.

If it's possible, you might want to pick up a small hospital tank, whatever is in your budget. One of those small plastic 2 or 5 gallon critter keepers will do. A spare heater would be necessary as well. If you have an air pump or powerhead it can be temporarily used to circulate the water.

It would be great if she could be set up in a hospital tank where treatment can take place.

It is shaped only round like her bulging eye. No other kind of shape to it.

I have a 10gallon tank that I have some fry in and that is it. The best I could do would be to transfer my fry as most of them are big enough, and then put my 2 little ones over in the 30 gallon in a breeder net.

But the last time I put her in the 10 (thought it was time for babies) she freaked out really bad.

Sounds like popeye again - carry on doing water changes every couple of days and with the stress zyme it should start to clear up. There are medications for popeye, but personally I'm more in favour of water changes and I only add medications as a last resort. If moving her stresses her out then keep her where she is. Water changes won't hurt the other fish.

Most reactions

Back