Ok, last time. Stocking.

Seriously, yes...read the Serious Fish link. ;)
Most fish will be tempted to eat anything tiny enough to fit in their mouths, but there are many exceptions to this rule.
For example, my Dwarf Gourami could eat shrimplets and chilli rasbora, but he isn't interested.

The real issue with the Pearl and tetra mix is the differing levels of activity, with all gourami preferring quieter, more settled tankmates. Rasboras and some barbs, (Harlequin and Cherry, for example), are a better mix and I'm sure that it's not just a convenience that they originate from the same areas.
Ok, thankyou.

Pearl Guramis are the most peaceful of the larger gouramis. You cannot be serious suggesting that because they have been bred in tanks therefore, they now like Alkaline tanks.
Why do we have this argument every thread. There is a big jump from not acidic to alkaline. Also it is a huge mistake for novice fish keeper to try to adjust their tap ph; and last but least many fishes have a wide range of ph that will not have an adverse effect on their health. Finally since a lot of people here like to quote seriouslyfish as an authorative source of information (I am not one); they list 5.5 to 8 as an acceptable ph range. While tap ph differs widely from region to region I would suspect very few people have acidic tap water and that would exclude nearly everyone from owning the vast majority of fishes commonly available by your guideline. Something that is just not pragmatic within the hobby.

Why do we have this argument every thread. There is a big jump from not acidic to alkaline. Also it is a huge mistake for novice fish keeper to try to adjust their tap ph; and last but least many fishes have a wide range of ph that will not have an adverse effect on their health. Finally since a lot of people here like to quote seriouslyfish as an authorative source of information (I am not one); they list 5.5 to 8 as an acceptable ph range. While tap ph differs widely from region to region I would suspect very few people have acidic tap water and that would exclude nearly everyone from owning the vast majority of fishes commonly available by your guideline. Something that is just not pragmatic within the hobby.
I'm just pleased I don't run the LFS near you and all the other members who have decided because "Seriously Fish" say something it is true. The vast majority of sick fish on this forum are soft/acid loving fish being kept in Alkaline systems. That should say something to all members of this forum site.

Back to com[patability...The main problem is the small species are not compatible with gourami. Gourami, all of them, are basically sedate fish (as opposed to active swimmers) and they have large fin extensions. Selecting smaller shoaling fish has to be very carefully thought out.

Bloodfins, species Aphyocharax anisitsi, have a propensity to fin nip other fish; it is a trait common to all the species in this genus, and some are much worse than this species but it is still a serious issue. Silvertip Tetra are similar though not as likely, perhaps--but we should never put them in a situation that is more likely than not to bring out this tendency.

Neon Tetra might work better, but if this were me I would look at the very peaceful shoaling species that are much more likely to not see the gourami as a target. The "disk" shaped tetras like the Rosy Tetra are good, both for this reason and because they remain in the lower half of the aquarium so they are not "in the face" of the gourami. Rasboras also make good tankmates, species like the "harlequin" group in Trigonstigma.

I have the last Boraras urophthalmoides of a shoal living in the same tank as pearl gouramis. The harlequins chase them more than the gouramis do. These Boraras are less than 1 inch long, they are tiny.

It's hard to judge the size of a fish inside a tank when you can't get a ruler up close, but these are tiny fish. When I say less than an inch, they are just that, somewhere under an inch, including the tail. They are smaller than an ember tetra and slimmer.

1 Rubberlip Pleco
7 (more) bloodfins (10 in total)
4 (more) Silvertips (9 in total)
10 Espei Rasbora
2 dwarf cockatoo cichlids
I would replace the cockatoo with borelli (personal preference). The borelli are smaller have more personality and heartier. For your size the aquarium the cockatoo might fit better being larger but they can also be quite aggressive when breeding; esp the female though the details come down to individual fishes.

Most reactions

Back