Ok, last time. Stocking.

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hoi
I need help with my stocking (again, sorry)
my Idea:
10 bloodfins
10 Silvertips
10 Neon (tetra)
1 bnp
All my (soon to be rehomed babies) Mystery snails (20+) and 4 adults (keeping)

Gh: 6
pH; 7.5
No2; 0
No3; 0

Tank size:
3'x2'x3'
or 37"x24"x37"
or 91.44cm x 60.96cm x 91.44cm

47 US gallons/177.914 Liters
Planted

Thoughts?
I'm getting fish in around 1-2 weeks

Last edited:
Temperature and ammonia?

I wouldn't keep pearl gouramis or any big gouramis with small tetras. However, if you get baby pearl gouramis and grow them up with the tetras, and you have lots of plants, they should be ok due to the tank size (assuming tank is 3 foot long x 3 ft wide x 2 ft high).

Why don't you keep a few mystery snails for the tank?

What catfish were you thinking of getting?
Corydoras and a pair of bristlenose or Peckoltias would go well in the tank. Just make sure you have some driftwood for them to eat and let the algae grow on the glass and ornaments.

Last edited:
gouramis are really aggressive fish so I would not recommend keeping them with small easily scared fish like tetras, also I would say to get rid of one of the species of tetras and their numbers divide them evenly between the other 2 species since tetras like to be in big groups of their same species (yes I know they do interact positively with other tetra species even in the wild but they still prefer their own kind and well, the more the merrier).
And I think that 20+ mystery snails would be a bit too much and they would eat all the available food for them in very little time.
that is all my current input, maybe change the centerpiece fish for something more tetra friendly and maybe that could be another South-American fish, giving you the opportunity to do a south America biotope.

Couple of comments: first the aquarium does not need to be acidic. While it might be the prefer natural habitat many of these fishes are probably tank raised and acclimated to their breeders water conditions (whatever that might be). Some gourami are quite aggressive but others are more passive; with regards to behavior there is not a one size that fit all to the genus. As with many fishes within the same species males might fight. However pearl gourami are not small fishes. You might consider a group of sparkling gourami. These are much smaller of course and rather peaceful. While you might have considered the pearl as a 'centerpiece' fish you could consider a group of 10 sparkling as your 'centerpiece'. Conversely if you are set on the pearl you might consider 2 females and 1 male (3). This is mostly a size thing as your aquarium is not that large and you might be pushing the space constraint.

Couple of comments: first the aquarium does not need to be acidic. While it might be the prefer natural habitat many of these fishes are probably tank raised and acclimated to their breeders water conditions (whatever that might be). Some gourami are quite aggressive but others are more passive; with regards to behavior there is not a one size that fit all to the genus. As with many fishes within the same species males might fight. However pearl gourami are not small fishes. You might consider a group of sparkling gourami. These are much smaller of course and rather peaceful. While you might have considered the pearl as a 'centerpiece' fish you could consider a group of 10 sparkling as your 'centerpiece'. Conversely if you are set on the pearl you might consider 2 females and 1 male (3). This is mostly a size thing as your aquarium is not that large and you might be pushing the space constraint.
Pearl Guramis are the most peaceful of the larger gouramis. You cannot be serious suggesting that because they have been bred in tanks therefore, they now like Alkaline tanks.

Its not that your overstocked, its that the gounaris might eat the tetras. I would either get small goumaris like a honey goumari or dwarf gounari, another thing is goumaris can be aggressive towards other males. Either get just females or 3 females and 1 male.

Its not that your overstocked, its that the gounaris might eat the tetras. I would either get small goumaris like a honey goumari or dwarf gounari, another thing is goumaris can be aggressive towards other males. Either get just females or 3 females and 1 male.
Have you kept Pearl Gouramis or are just going by what has been said on here. I have never had a Pearl Gourami eat anything apart from flake food and the occasional blood worm or mosquito larvae

Have you kept Pearl Gouramis or are just going by what has been said on here. I have never had a Pearl Gourami eat anything apart from flake food and the occasional blood worm or mosquito larvae
No, I have not kept pearl goumaris, but whenever I'm bored I just research random fish so that's how I know. Is what I have said incorrect?

Rather than listen to the individual takes on specific species, from individual fishkeepers, who obviously know what works/ed for them, I prefer to listen to the team at Seriously Fish. This is what they have to say on the Pearl Gourami.
Reading this immediately makes me think about those racing tetras and the proposed mix makes me uncomfortable. I suspect the gourami would feel similar.

@Anonymous Fox ...please do some research on Serious Fish, before compiling any lists, or else you are just working with a fantasy and will undoubtedly be disappointed.

Take your pH and water hardness as your starting point and then think about what fish might fill the lower levels, mid-water, perhaps upper levels and, finally, a centre-piece fish or fishes.
(You could start with your 'centre piece and work from that).

Whilst I would never advocate using fish as tools to keep your tank clean for you, when considering the lower levels, it can sometimes be useful to look at 'clean-up crew' fish and animals.

Rather than listen to the individual takes on specific species, from individual fishkeepers, who obviously know what works/ed for them, I prefer to listen to the team at Seriously Fish. This is what they have to say on the Pearl Gourami.
Reading this immediately makes me think about those racing tetras and the proposed mix makes me uncomfortable. I suspect the gourami would feel similar.

@Anonymous Fox ...please do some research on Serious Fish, before compiling any lists, or else you are just working with a fantasy and will undoubtedly be disappointed.

Take your pH and water hardness as your starting point and then think about what fish might fill the lower levels, mid-water, perhaps upper levels and, finally, a centre-piece fish or fishes.
(You could start with your 'centre piece and work from that).

Whilst I would never advocate using fish as tools to keep your tank clean for you, when considering the lower levels, it can sometimes be useful to look at 'clean-up crew' fish and animals.
Yes, seriously fish is the most trustworthy fish website ever.

No, I have not kept pearl goumaris, but whenever I'm bored I just research random fish so that's how I know. Is what I have said incorrect?
That is fine so you can keep commenting on here with no experience but google, just be careful you can back up what you say. I would like to know what site said Pearl Gourami's eat other fish?

Seriously, not again. Please correct me.
Seriously, yes...read the Serious Fish link. ;)
Most fish will be tempted to eat anything tiny enough to fit in their mouths, but there are many exceptions to this rule.
For example, my Dwarf Gourami could eat shrimplets and chilli rasbora, but he isn't interested.

The real issue with the Pearl and tetra mix is the differing levels of activity, with all gourami preferring quieter, more settled tankmates. Rasboras and some barbs, (Harlequin and Cherry, for example), are a better mix and I'm sure that it's not just a convenience that they originate from the same areas.

Most reactions

Back