Ok, I've Been Cycling With Fish For 3 Weeks

I agree with Miss Wiggle, the tank isn't big enough for danios (or at least that species). If you want danios (they're all active), there are a few much smaller species that are also much prettier than zebras/leopards. Or if you want tetras, it might be a good plan to opt for a hardier species (such as black widows) and swap your two danios for three tetras. That should be a similar bioload while not being too few tetras. Once ammonia is at 0, I would add the betta (if you still want a betta), then a few weeks later, the rest of the tetras.

They only really hide at night, much of the time during the day they're swimming around at the top or picking at my balls of moss.

ok, I'll add 2 more Danios over the weekend to up the cycle...would they not get on with 2 other smaller type of fish?

'get on' is quite a loose term.

it would be fairly rare for the to fight with something like tetra's so there shouldn't be any disputes.... in that sense they will 'get on'

however for them to feel safe and happy they need to be able to school together, they will not do this with another species so they will still need companionship of they're own kind, as would the tetra's or the vast majority of other small fish you could get for your tank.

just to add to oohfeesy's comments... wait until both the ammonia and nitrite have dropped to 0 (the ammonia may drop and you will then get 0 readings of each.... you then need to wait for the nitrite to get a reading... build up and then drop back down to 0) before adding the betta.

ok, if they'll get on, i'll add a couple of more small fish and let the tank cycle from there.

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated! :)

ok, if they'll get on, i'll add a couple of more small fish and let the tank cycle from there.

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated! :)

no problem, let us know how you get on :good:

Most reactions

Back