Ok I Need A Lot Of Help With Betta Questions.

SeaGoddess

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok I am just going to ramble out questions. Please answer what you can. Thanks a Bunch! I m going to breed my bettas in a ten gallon. What type of filter do I need? What size of filter do I need? Where do I place the almond leaves? What size heater do I need? how many degrees does the water need to be? Do I need to put anything in the water with the female while she is in her hospital tank (like medication or anything)? Can I have a pleco with the female during this time? What type of diet do I need to have them on? How long will the actual breeding process between the male and female take? How long until the eggs hatch? When do i start to feed the fry? What do I feed them? Do I feed the male at this time? And What do I feed him? When do I remove the male? Are there any other ways to entice the male and female to breed? Ok and if you have any other suggestions feel free to tell me. Thanks again.
smile.png

fish.gif

For the almond leaves you could either leave the leaf in to decay (makes good shrimp food) or you could boil the leaf in water and when the water cools you pour that in.
good luck with your bettas

Thanks
Do I put declorinator in the water after I have boiled it

It'd be a better idea to put the leaf/leaves directly into the tank. If you put the boiled water in directly it would dramatically lower the ph all at once, which is bad for the fish...IMHO almond leaves are overhyped, but seeing how cheap they are what's the harm..

Your leaves can also be put into a filter bag inside your filter if you don't like the look of them lying about on the tank floor. I would put no more than two in your tank unless you want your water to look like tea lol. As for the filter itself, most filters will tell you what size tank they are designed for. I don't really know what brands are common over in the states so I cant help you with an exact one. Sorry. Just remember to take any carbon out of the filter because otherwise it will take away all of the good stuff coming out of your leaves.

A pleco should be okay depending on tank size. Just keep in mind that some get REALLY big. A bristlenose pleco is the smallest I can think of but i'd imagine with a bit of research you could find a smaller one. 

Best of luck with breeding!

There's plenty of small plecos, the cheapest I know of being clown plecos. Wait, why would you want a pleco in a tank with breeding bettas, it's kind of random? If you're talking about a ten gallon for the pleco then that's not suitable, the smallest tank size is 20 gallons and only for a few plecos like clown plecs.

You'll need a sponge filter, ideally, as you'll have your water level much lower than you usually would. Get one rated for your tank size or build one. I'm not sure on this because of the water level issue, but get a heater rated for your tank size? Keep the water at least in the low eighties. While the female is in the hospital tank, I assume after breeding, mostly just to heal any nips which may have occurred during the mating process, just add warm, clean water with IAL. I would not add a pleco. Assuming "them" are fry, you'll need some microworms, baby brine shrimp and other live foods. Though I've never bred them, I've looked into this quite a bit, and it appears that the typical mating process is a few hours long. Eggs hatch after about three days. Oh, the first "them" referred to adults. The adults should be eating live foods, bloodworms, etc, basically a varied diet. Most people begin to feed their fry about two days after hatching. During the first two days, the fry can have LiquiFry, or there is a culture of bacteria which is beneficial but I can't recall the name. The male should be removed from the tank as soon as the fry begin to hatch.

I'm not 100% positive but I thought it was the female that needed to be removed immediately with bettas? The male will build a bubble nest and for the first few days he guards and cares for the fry until they can swim on their own, once they are free swimming he should be.removed. Now this isn't first hand experience as I've never bred them but that is my understanding of it

SeaGoddess said:
Ok I am just going to ramble out questions. Please answer what you can. Thanks a Bunch! I m going to breed my bettas in a ten gallon. What type of filter do I need? What size of filter do I need? Where do I place the almond leaves? What size heater do I need? how many degrees does the water need to be? Do I need to put anything in the water with the female while she is in her hospital tank (like medication or anything)? Can I have a pleco with the female during this time? What type of diet do I need to have them on? How long will the actual breeding process between the male and female take? How long until the eggs hatch? When do i start to feed the fry? What do I feed them? Do I feed the male at this time? And What do I feed him? When do I remove the male? Are there any other ways to entice the male and female to breed? Ok and if you have any other suggestions feel free to tell me. Thanks again.
smile.png

fish.gif

First I think this would have been better to place in the betta section where you would have more betta people see it.  :D  I am going to answer your questions in order and number them.  

1 & 2 .  You need a sponge filter that is hooked up to a air pump rated for a 10 gallon tank.
3.  The almond leaves you just place one in the tank itself.
4 & 5. The heater should be an adjustable 50 watt heater set to 82F -84F
6 & 7.  Warm very clean water should be all that is needed to help the female heal from the injuries afflicted during spawning.  A pleco is not recommended for a tank you are wanting to keep pristine for fin healing since they are such messy critters.  Plecos are also not advised for any tank of less than 20 gallons.
8.  The adult betta pair need to be eating high quality foods twice a day for 2 weeks before breeding.  This can include a high quality pellet, frozen food, and live foods.  Live foods can be mosquito larvae, white worms, or grindal worms.  Frozen foods are: brine shrimp, bloodworms, glassworms, beefheart, or daphnia.
9. Breeding (spawning) can take up to a day to complete once the pair starts.
10. The eggs should hatch in 24 hours depending on the temperature of the tank.
11. The fry will need to start being fed once they are free swimming horizontally - usually about day 3
12.  The fry will need live foods.  Starting out with something small like microworms and then about when they are a week old switching to live baby brine shrimp.
13, 14, & 15.  The male most likely will not eat while he is caring for the fry but he might take a bloodworm or two if offered.  He should be removed once the fry are free swimming horizontally.
16.  There are really no sure fire way to entice a male and female to spawn if you have conditioned them correctly and they still refuse to breed.

Good luck seagoddess, keep us updated on how things are going :)

Most reactions

Back