Oily Water Surface...

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, the entire top surface of the water in all of my 5.5 tanks are oily. I understand from reading my search results here that it's likely because there's very little surface agitation (filter on low and with a deflector). Given that, is there any way to avoid this? I'm reading it's not harmful so I'm not worried about it, just wondered if my fellow betta people found a way to avoid this (beyond the standard "increae surface agitation") ?

Mop it up by placing a piece of kitchen towl on top?

As you lift the paper towel off, do this carefully, it should bring the oily layer with it. :)

do betta's not like surface ajitation then? i was planning on having the filter agitating the surface to keep the tank oxegenated?

Long finned bettas don't like a strong water currents. So all male bettas except Plakats.

You can always run the filter on it's lower surface but raise the outlet as high as you can (whilst still under the water). To agitate the surface as much as possible without increading flow/current.

Though to be honest, Betta's have a specially adapted lung which allows them to breath air. And I'm pretty sure they will breed air no matter how well oxygenated the water is.

I have this too and have not managed to master the kitchen towel thing. Doesn't seem to cause any problems, but nice to hear you've read it isn't harmful :)

I had that too in my fry tank! What do you have in your tank? I think my elodea plants were doing it.. I had no filtration at the time, so the water was VERY still, and my plants were turning brown from a lack of nutrients and oxygen I guess.. I did 2 water changes, took all the live plants out and added a sponge filter and I haven't seen the oily stuff come back.

Okay - will try the paper towel trick - thank you! And just to answer some of the questions:

do betta's not like surface ajitation then?
As Curiosity answered, the long-finned bettas are far better off in relatively still water. It takes a lot of effort for them to swim against currents and they can get exhausted pretty quick. I keep my filters running on low AND have deflectors on them (basically deflecting the water toward the wall to break up even the small current from the low-setting filter). You can use tall plants in front of your outlet to break up the water flow there, too. Before I had the deflector, one of my bettas (the one with the longest finnage) was getting so exhausted that one night I really thought he was on his way out. Lying completely on his side on the bottom for way too long and too often. :eek: I decided to try it just in case, put a deflector on the filter, and by next morning, he was absolutely fine and remains so. I really think he was just totally exhausted.

i was planning on having the filter agitating the surface to keep the tank oxegenated?

You don't want surface agitation especially when wanting to breed. Remember, the males make bubble nests on the surface for the ladies to lay their eggs in. All kinds of surface agitation is gonna disturb those nests.

What do you have in your tank?
I've got 2 Amazon Swords, 1 Vallis, a crypt or 2, a small bit of micro sword, and an opened moss ball. Also a piece of Mopani wood. Never occurred to me it was the plants! Makes sense as the other tank, still currently with silk plants, doesn't have it. Hu! Unfortunately, I have to keep live plants because I'm having all kinds of problems (with one betta particularly) with fins getting ripped and torn on the silk plants. (All that hidden hard plastic... grrr!)

Most reactions

Back