Oiley Surface

novamadcars

Reaction score
hi im a bit worryed as the surface of my tank water is oliey what causes this and whaty can i do 2 get rid of it

Surface aggitation is a way to get rid of it, also using kitchen towels to absorb it.

Can happen to tanks in the kitchen, protein from food and not enough surface aggitation.

I have noticed this on my tank and I have put it down to overdosing the Nutrafin Aqua Plus water conditioner. I have now gone back to using the amount it recommends rather than adding a little more and the oily substance seems to have gone!

excess protein or simply dust on the surface or maybe someones spraying something near your tank! polish etc. Paint fumes is another poss cause!! use a jam jar or glass to suck the scum from the surface by submerging it and letting it fill slowly from the surface.

excess protein or simply dust on the surface or maybe someones spraying something near your tank! polish etc. Paint fumes is another poss cause!! use a jam jar or glass to suck the scum from the surface by submerging it and letting it fill slowly from the surface.

Was having the same problem with surface 'scum' & using the search option found this thread.

Just wanted to say this is a very helpful tip & works a treat.

Most reactions

Back