Oh no! ... Time to move!

Danni

Reaction score
Moving house is always a pain, but this time I hafta move my tank as well. I would really appreciate any tips or advice from you guys on to how to make the move less stressful for my fish and plants. Fortunately the move is only about 5kms away.

looking forward to any replies,
Dannielle :*

being summertime down there and with only a short move you shouldnt need to worry about water temp.
what i know my dad did when moving, was to syphon tank water into large buckets, add fish and plants to them, secure a lid on them and carefully move them so as not to spill :)
depending on size of tank / weight of gravel you may be able move tank with substrate and small amount of water - which will protect those lovely bacteria down there.
having moved house a few times (without fish) i would be tempted to try to 'pack' the tank last and unpack it first - let everyone else faff about with kitchen utensils, bath robes etc while you sort your tank out asap in the new pad

good luck, and enjoy the new place

Thanks for your advice Andy. I had planned on keeping at least 75% of the tank water in containers and making the final run a fish run, so they were out of the tank and back in as soon as possible. Nice to have confirmation that I was thinking along the right lines, as I'm still so inexperienced when it comes to fish. Thank you so much for your reply.

i'm moving also... does anyone know where to get those 5 gallon water jugs they use in offices? I know they get from water distributers, but is there any retail stores that sell them? thanks in advance wolfefish

Wolfefish,

Have you tried any of the big warehouse stores? Like Sam's club? When hurricane Izzy was heading our way I bought the big blue water cooler bottles at Sam's in case our water supply was affected. HTH

I've moved twice and getting ready for a third move. Hopefully this is the last one for awhile. Any who. Have a set plan pictured in your head on what your going to do so you don't screw something up. You want this to go as fast and smoothly as possible. I'd move the fish tanks and fish last. The first time I put my fish in plastic bags and just had somone hold them. The second time I used small lunch cooler filled with their water.

Thanks mtdewlover. I'm really dreading this move, fingers crossed I don't screw up. Hope your move runs smoothly also.

Thanks. I'm nervous. I'm not only moving to a new apartment but my fish are moving into a new 55 gallon tank from a 29. It's like two shocks at once!

Wolfefish Lowe's carries them. I don't know if they are still in season. Or Home Depot. :no: But they are the devil.

I have to move soon, but the problem is i am moving about 60 miles away. how should i get it done? the same as yall are discussing? im afarid the will have to be bagged for up to an hour :( :/ :no:

Most reactions

Back