Oh No! My Platy And Guppy...

doraemon213

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
... just had babies. I did not realize at all because of my poor tank lighting until I was doing water change today. There are 3 fry right now (probably a lot of the others died and I did not even know).

I did not intend to breed them. I just thought my only female platy in the tank was lonely so I added a male guppy to accompany her until I upgrade to a bigger tank. I thought they would not cross breed... What a big mistake!

What should I do with the babies? I have no idea how to raise them, and I don't intend to keep them forever.  
wacko.png

Female guppies and platies can hang on to the sperm of the male for around 7 months and guppies can breed with themselves (females) in a same sex environment. the female platy was probably already pregnant when you got her.
if you want to raise the babies then search on the forums for more info, if not then just put them back in the tank and they'll most likely get eaten.

you can probaly get a breeder box or a speerate tank, or do it natural as said above.

BerryAttack said:
Female guppies and platies can hang on to the sperm of the male for around 7 months and guppies can breed with themselves (females) in a same sex environment. the female platy was probably already pregnant when you got her.
if you want to raise the babies then search on the forums for more info, if not then just put them back in the tank and they'll most likely get eaten.
Oh, I have only had the platy for 2 months... so she could be already pregnant when I bought her?

So am I still correct that platy and guppy cannot cross breed?

Thanks for the info!

yup  and platies and swordtails can breed while guppys and endlers and mollies can breed.

Platies and guppies cannot interbreed.  If you've had your platy for two months then this may be her second brood and all the first ones were eaten so you never saw them!

Most reactions

Back