Oh My God - My Dad Just Bought Me Three Bala Sharks!

tlagden

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
He bought them as a present as he could see how into my new aquarium i was.

I cannot believe my LFS sold them to him!

Now I'm in the situation where i don't want to be rude to him by making him take the fish back i might just say that I'll take them back as soon as they get too big...he seemed alright with that.

Will they be okay for now or should i take them back asap (they're only about 1 and a half inches long at the moment) :S

To be honest I would take them back soon as you can.
They need room to move and that tank is way to small.
Tell your dad in a nice way to leave the tank to you.

No no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theyll be fine for now! TAke them back when they get too big, which they wont as theyll only get to roughly 6-8 inches in yours and mine size aquarium. THeyll get to 14 inches in a 100 gal or even 70 or something, not 60 mlitres! If worse does come to worse that he does get too big, then take him back.
Theyre lovely fish and trust me they wont get too big in that size aquarium and they dont become miserable, they act normal
ANyway dude,good luck with what ever desicion you make!

^^ Which is a perfect example of how *not* to look after fish. Probably best to rehome them now- see if you can swap them for something more appropriate, like a larger tetra or rasbora species or something.

No no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theyll be fine for now! TAke them back when they get too big, which they wont as theyll only get to roughly 6-8 inches in yours and mine size aquarium. THeyll get to 14 inches in a 100 gal or even 70 or something, not 60 mlitres! If worse does come to worse that he does get too big, then take him back.
Theyre lovely fish and trust me they wont get too big in that size aquarium and they dont become miserable, they act normal
you keep a bala shark in 10 litres of water :eek:

connorsbala:

what! who told you that!!?? santa claus?? that's aload of rubbish to put it nicely! Your fishes growth is obviously stunted, it will be in pain, will NOT act normal (for starters it is on it's own (it's a schooling fish) and for seconds it's in a 10 litre!! (2 and a half gallons!!!)) and will dye young. get it out of there asap!!

PS...I wouldn't trust you if you give that sorty of info!

tlagden:

take them back as soon as you can, I'm sure your dad'll understand tbh. It's worth it, if you don't you'll either have dead or dying fish on your hands...or a bill for a 100 gallon tank :p

At least you've shown some concern for their wellfare! :D :good:

good luck with the ballas tl

greg

tlagden:

take them back as soon as you can, I'm sure your dad'll understand tbh. It's worth it, if you don't you'll either have dead or dying fish on your hands...or a bill for a 100 gallon tank :p

At least you've shown some concern for their wellfare! :D :good:

good luck with the ballas tl

greg

Either that or your dad will think that went well and get you a puffer, a betta and a common plec to join them... ahhhh.. it might never end.

Squid

I no!!!!!!!!! I feel real bad for having my bala in such little amount of water, but my lfs obviously dont give a toss about the future health of fish not advising me about the size of fish. At first i had a rainbow shark in there but he kept nipping at my neons so i took him bacvk and they gave me this bala and i was like " are you sure cause ive heard they get quite big" and they were like " no no, all depends on size of tank". So i took him home and love him!
Ill be moving him to my 70 litre on saturday and see how he goes, im sure hell be shocked to havin 60 more litres of water ! :D
Anyway i dont mean to offend or assault any1 with the health of my bala, but well see how things go........

Did you get rid of your balas then tlagden cause you havent listed them in your profile.........

Did you get rid of your balas then tlagden cause you havent listed them in your profile.........

they're still in there and they're definetaly going - a) they clearly don't like my betta - he has retreated into the cave in my tank and B) they uprooted some of my plants today and all my cory's dived in to feed on the roots lol

And how will a bala shark be fine in a 10 liter tank look at the fins the shape the structure they're clearly built for speed lol

I didnt say hes fine,permanent, hes fine till saturday........ :huh:

Ive never known balas be so violant lol

No no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theyll be fine for now! TAke them back when they get too big, which they wont........
.......Theyre lovely fish and trust me they wont get too big in that size aquarium and they dont become miserable, they act normal

kinda contradicts "I didnt say hes fine,permanent, hes fine till saturday"

i'm not having a go at you just if the info is bad/wrong/misleading there's no point in giving it.

greg

Bala's are lovely fish but they need loads of space and won't be happy in a small tank due to how fast they swim and they grow real quick, as mentioned above is generally a schooling fish so they may be lonely on there own and not as active :unsure:

Most reactions

Back