Odessa Barb Keepers

N0body Of The Goat

Oddball and African riverine fish keeper
Reaction score
The more fish I read about, the more I see a pattern where quoted adult sizes in profiles are very rarely achieved by captive specimens. Odessas are usually quoted as reaching 3", but I would love to hear from what sort of size their group have reached, excluding the caudal/tail fin.

The query has come about as a result of my Barilius hukaungensis changing their personality an awful lot since moving them to the Rio240 nine days ago. Back in the 620T, you could virtually put an open grasped hand around the whole group of twelve midwater, but now they spend the day in the tank floor scattered in small numbers. I'm wondering if it is the T5 lighting; the extra current; the extra places available to hide out of sight etc. So the thought of adding a another "dither" group had crossed my mind, especially if I can find an option from Myanmar, which the deceptively named Odessa Barbs do (name came about from being seen by the outside world initially in Ukraine)...

Edit: I could have sworn we had several members with groups of Odessas, so forget the "long term" bit, what size are your group and how long have you had them?

I had a group of these for a while to contrast with my M. lacustris. Mine were about 2 3/4 inches, but I have read that they can reach 3 inches. I enjoyed mine. Pictures do not do them justice.

I currently have a shoal of 6 in my roma 240 along with other barb species. I have only had them a month so they have plenty of growing to do yet, but one thing i will add is boy do they colour up nice.

Keith.

Mine must be getting close to a year old now. I would say they are very close to 3" exc. tail. They are one of the bigger barbs i have got, along with my Golden and Rosey ones

I would definately recommend, but dont be supprised if you cant "virtually put an open grasped hand around the whole group of twelve midwater" as these don't shoal that closely (also you would have to have a big hand anwyay...)

Thanks for the responses so far. :)

In many respects, I'd rather not have to buy another species for the Rio240 at the mo, as I really want to move some fish out of the garage 5-footer once I have rehomed the 11 Lionhead Cichlid youngsters (which sadly looks like giving them all to the fish shop on my delivery round, I just hope they tempt customers quickly in there, I'd hate to see them lingering for months on end but at the same time I really don't have the space for these rapidly growing youngsters anymore).

However, I still cannot fathom why the Barilius youngsters have stopped scholing as a really tight group that would almost certainly have "beaten" a group of Rummynose Tetras or African Striped Catfish (P. buffei). They are usually dotted around the tank in 1s/2s/3s pretty much on the tank floor and those with company often get quite spiteful with any conspecifics trying to current surf with them. Perhaps the active Panda Garra youngsters that the Barilius shared the 620T with (and will be moved to Rio240 once the Lionheads go) reassured the Barilius that everything was safe.

If I was to go for another group, it is currently between Giant Danios (but a little large long term, although perhaps they could move to the 5-footer later, which is my long term plan for the Barilius); Ruby Barbs; Odessa Barbs; Ilyodon whitei; Red Fin Halfbeaks... But I shall try and be good and resist until I have had a juggle with the fish I have once the Lionheads are gone!

Most reactions

Back