Oceon Rock?

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Reaction score
I would love this in my tropical fish tanks, Im not sure if they are actually called Oceon Rock - most people have them in marine tanks and Cichlid tanks. I am just wondering am I able to have these in my tropical tanks? Make little piles and may be a wall of it along the back/side.

Is this possible?

--FOUND OUT IT IS ACTUALLY LIVE ROCK I WANT, WOULD THIS SURVIVE IN TROPICAL TANKS?--

Live rock is best in Marine only set ups, sometimes it will be ok in Brackish but will die off in tropical and cause problems. The organisms on the rock need to be in salt water. You could get reef bones (dead live rock) or Ocean rock as these do not have any life on them. Or if its just the look of live rock you could get some fake live rock (I have some in my brackish tank)it does look convincing when under water.

i have ocean rock in my tropical set up , ! looks great especially once it has been in there a while. you must be carefull however as this rock will increase the hardness of your water. so if you have any exceptionally delicate fish you might want to avoid it.

Not really sure what oceon is, but if its liverock, dont use it in a fw tank unless you got african cichlids. Itll raise your ph to about 8.2. You will also get die off for about a month or 2 that will kill all your fish since its fw.

If you want to use rocks from the ocean, you will need to cure it. Even dead, dried out ocean rocks are full of dead and dried organisms (sponges, mollusks, bacteria, corals, etc.). In water, they rot and will cause ammonia spikes. You'll need to soak it in water for at least 2 months to rid the rock of all of it, with water changes and monitoring of ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate levels.

Live rock is fresh from the ocean rock, is expensive and has the same issues. Even when putting it into a saltwater tank, you need to cure it as above (although not as long). If it is handled properly, there will be some mild die off (mostly of sponges, which die if exposed to any air). Every single thing on it will die if is put into freshwater.

As said above, it is really only useful for African cichlid tanks as it will raise the pH to over 8.0. Even then, it is a pain in the...

Ocean rock is not live rock!

Ocean rock is the white rock full of holes commonly used in cichlid tanks.
This will be fine in most aquaria unless your have soft water as this rock will harden the water and rase the pH.

I use it all the time, but it loses the whiteness after a while and dose need cleaning now and then.

Not the best example but here is a pic of some i sold

DSCF2460.jpg

Ocean rock is not live rock!

Ocean rock is the white rock full of holes commonly used in cichlid tanks.
This will be fine in most aquaria unless your have soft water as this rock will harden the water and rase the pH.

I use it all the time, but it loses the whiteness after a while and dose need cleaning now and then.

Not the best example but here is a pic of some i sold

DSCF2460.jpg

Ouch, I got the forum beatdown. :byebye:

This is exactually what im after!

So what fish can I not keep with this in the water?

Basically its everything except for stuff from africa.
How? ;)

What you can keep depends on your water stats now and how much of the rock you will use.

Basically you can keep most aquarium fish :good:.

Just test your pH and hardness before adding any sensitive species that like soft water, like blue rams or discus. But a lot of fish can adapt anyway as long as you keep it stable.

Basically its everything except for stuff from africa.
How? ;)

What you can keep depends on your water stats now and how much of the rock you will use.

Basically you can keep most aquarium fish :good:.

Just test your pH and hardness before adding any sensitive species that like soft water, like blue rams or discus. But a lot of fish can adapt anyway as long as you keep it stable.

Wait, it was supposed to be the other way around. Havent slept yet so im a little off right now :crazy:

Most reactions

Back