Ocean Rock

Malawi-LW

Reaction score
Im getting some ocean rock from a mate of mine tomorrow but its caked in algi, id like to give it a good clean before i put it into my tank, anyone any ideas on how to get these to come up bright and clean?

Im getting some ocean rock from a mate of mine tomorrow but its caked in algi, id like to give it a good clean before i put it into my tank, anyone any ideas on how to get these to come up bright and clean?
Doesn't a 2% bleach solution usually work for ornaments? Try that on the ocean rock then =/

Ocean rock is porous so don't do that. You'll end up leaking bleach into the tank.

I may get shot down in flames for this....but I've used bleach on Ocean rock and my fish are here to tell the tale!
It is however a long process! I use a weak solution of bleach and soak the rocks just till the algae disappears, then soak the rock in clean water and let it air dry...then clean water....then air dry....and so on. Bleach does dissipate so as long as you give it a good soaking and drying it will be fine. This process can take me up to two days but is worth it when you see how clean the rock looks!

Lisa x

the best way i've found is to just leave it outside it takes about a week and the algae dies and the rock looks like new, i normally have spare rock and just swapping it and leaving a few pieces outside until the algae has gone, i've tried scrubbing it before but you can't get inside all the nooks and crannies :)

Most reactions

Back