Oak Leaves

Well, it will remain a mystery I guess.  BTW, you didn't post the GH and KH as I initially asked, this might tell us something.  And another thought occurs to me; as another member correctly pointed out, water chemistry changes will be more rapid in smaller tanks.  The tanks may run lower than the tap water (mine do), but a water change will cause a higher rise in pH in a small tank, whereas in a larger it may not even shift due to the greater biological stability.

I don't see how a gh and kh would make something that's ment to ph down go up? Would either keep the ph stable or drop slightly...
This leaf was added to the tank after the last water change, I then left the tank for a couple days and tested the ph to find it way high, I then removed the leaf and done another water change.
When I done the ph test I also tested my big tank which was water changed the same time and that tank ph was the same as it usually is lol.

I know the smaller tank chemistry would change faster than the big tank, hence I only used one leaf...

Currently letting a glass of water sit for 24hours and then im going to check the ph change over a couple days when I add a leaf, the glass should change faster than the tank because its obviously smaller lol

Exactly why I'm perplexed.

You should test your tap water and post that for us too. :)

The source of the leaf might be the cause... the leaf may have been carrying some chemicals on it when it was added and when it was added to the tank, the chemicals dissolved into the tank... Could have been something as simple as some lime or any number of other minerals on the leaf...  

Most reactions

Back