Not Sure What Kind These Are

ohiofishguy

Reaction score
I had gotten some gouramis from Petsmart and for the life of me I cannot remember what kind they were so I am turning to you guys and gals so I can have an idea what type of gouramis they are. They are only about 1 1/2 inches long.

100_4588.jpg

100_4590.jpg

They are really pretty!

Those are Flame Dwarf Gourami, and they are all males. Did the employee tell you to expect them to pick on each other? Male gouramis generally don't get along. I hope you have a very large tank. One will get dominant, then pick on the rest. Fish stores can get away with keeping them together for a short time, due to the sheer numbers in the tank and the fact that they won't be together too long.

I agree i wld take all but one of these males back and get a female or just stay with one male but those males WILL fight evently

Females have a rounded dorsal finand males have a pointed dorsal fin And their colours are not as vibrant as the males you dnt normaly get a red female normaly silver and neon/ powder blue colours

They are Honey gouramis and will most likely get on with each other fine, after reading lots, it always says the males are more aggressive in gouramis but tbh after a good few years of keeping honeys (my favourite gourami), i have decided that the infor just doesnt relate to this species, the females are far more dominant and aggressive than the males who seem to happily just stay together and not live with females.

Oops! Closer look, I forgot Honey Dwarf come red like that too. I'm used to the Amber colored ones with black face and belly, or the washed out looking females. I agree that Honey Dwarf are not as male/male aggressive as the Colisa lalia Dwarfs.

Oops! Closer look, I forgot Honey Dwarf come red like that too. I'm used to the Amber colored ones with black face and belly, or the washed out looking females. I agree that Honey Dwarf are not as male/male aggressive as the Colisa lalia Dwarfs.

So I should be ok keeping them together? There seems to be agreement in online literature that Honey Dwarfs get along better with one another than Flame Dwarfs do.

I agree they may fight later on, I generally keep two of opposite sex. atm i have two pearl gourami m/f and they do chase one another but i think they try to breed hehe. Honey Gourami is very pretty fish too i like'em :) good luck!

Honeys dont normaly attack each other ive now people to keep 5 males together with females and they r fine dwarf males will fight same as other types but honeys normaly dont

Most reactions

Back