Not So Smart Friend

My friend has a silver arowana in his tank. The tank is 6ft x 3ft x 3ft. He has had the aro for around a year and its very much like my piranhas, it will eat pretty much anything that drops into the water lol

to each his own, i dont find feeding feeders unethical cause they are bred to be eaten, but not as a staple. I breed my own feeders in good conditions, not like the local petstore. carnivore pellets are my arowanas staple food. Now, do you have a suggestion on what fish he should get, i dont want to turn this topic on a discussion on ethics.

Well, luckily you don't live in the UK, where it isn't just unethical, its illegal (to feed any living vertebrate to another species, also including one species of octopus).

There really is no need for it, except to entertain the fish keeper.

Suggest a butterfly fish or an asian bumble bee catfish.

I know of a few people that keep 1 red belly piranha in a 30 gal tank. The piranha will more than likely be very happy too. As long as there is plenty of hiding places (as they are known to be shy) and a lot of filtration then you will be ok. I feed mine live a feeder occasionally (once a month) which i keep in a separate tank for a few weeks to make sure they are clear of any potential diseases. I also feed them frozen fish (smelt), bloodworm, krill, prawns and raw chicken. They also get 1 frozen pinky mouse every 2 weeks or so.
Thanks for your input, ill see if he likes the idea.
no problem :)

you replied to people who posted AFTER FM but not FM, so i assumed you were ignoring.
no worries bud, its alot of people to reply to.

dont appreciate being called bud, but whtever. i wasnt apologising, i was making you aware that you did really ignore fm.

Well, luckily you don't live in the UK, where it isn't just unethical, its illegal (to feed any living vertebrate to another species, also including one species of octopus).

+1

to each his own, i dont find feeding feeders unethical cause they are bred to be eaten, but not as a staple. I breed my own feeders in good conditions, not like the local petstore. carnivore pellets are my arowanas staple food. Now, do you have a suggestion on what fish he should get, i dont want to turn this topic on a discussion on ethics.

I find this strange as i live in the UK and have been told a few times (and told i could buy for this purpose) by my lfs that its not frowned upon to feed my piranhas feeders once in a while as its in their nature to hunt their food. Maybe i was given false information.

thats got to suck, anyway, i dont really do it for entertainment, i just find it interesting to watch a fish eat with the instincts its had since birth, thanks for the suggestion, ill see if he likes the idea.

It's not illegal. Improper from a dietary view in most cases, but not illegal.

It's not illegal. Improper from a dietary view in most cases, but not illegal.

It may not be explicitly illegal, but you may still be prosecuted under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act. Very grey area in the UK.

Feeding live food to any fish just to watch its natural instincts when housed in a tank is really unusual I find. If you want to watch this I'm sure there are 100's of videos on the net of watching a pirahna hunt for live food in their natural enviroment.

I rather think the point is they don't NEED to hunt when being cared for in a tank, so the 'need' to provide live food for it to hunt for itself is removed. There's nothing natural about the set up. The owner is the food source.

again, this is turning to a discussion about ethics. Not that i dont mind talking about ethics, everyone is entitled to an opinion, such is the nature of the internet. But please lets get back on topic, what fish based on the original post should my friend get.

Ok, in answer to your question I would say none as you said, and I quote "he's not all there". I know you said you live with this fella, but if he "not all there" (which infact is very vague) then how can you rely on the person feeding, doing water changes, cycling the tank ect ect. The last thing I'd suggest anyone to do with difficulties, stable at present or not is to take up fishkeeping. That in itself can cause more problems to the individual. Especially not a pirahna like what's been suggested. Would you reccommend a snake to someone who knew nothing about them and "wasn't all there"?

Ok, in answer to your question I would say none as you said, and I quote "he's not all there". I know you said you live with this fella, but if he "not all there" (which infact is very vague) then how can you rely on the person feeding, doing water changes, cycling the tank ect ect. The last thing I'd suggest anyone to do with difficulties, stable at present or not is to take up fishkeeping. That in itself can cause more problems to the individual. Especially not a pirahna like what's been suggested. Would you reccommend a snake to someone who knew nothing about them and "wasn't all there"?
You want me to be less vague? When i say hes not all there, i mean he has schizophrenia and amnesia, he takes his schizophrenia meds cause i administer it myself, but the doctor wants him to take the amnesia meds himself to train his memory, he probably forgot and lost all memory of proper fish care.

I didnt mention any of this cause my "friend"? hes my little brother, and if he sees this he may have an episode. but i can block this site from him.

I can rely on him cause ill be there, im sorry if i appear mean i just dont like talking about him, our parents are gone and im his soul provider.

NOW, if you have a suggestion on a fish for him, then type so, if not? dont post on the topic.

I don't live feed myself even tho I have a tank with quite a bit of predators LoL to each his own, but depending on the dimensions of the tank, have a look at Leopard Ctenopoma.

Most reactions

Back