Not Happy With Plant Results

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had my Rio 300 for almost a year now, I've been struggling to get my plants going in the right direction. I've posted previous questions on the forum and received advice which I've followed, however I'm still not happy with the results. Even though my anubias has flowered (I heard it's kind of rare??), the other plants don't seem to be happy haha.

Currently using Co2 diffuser in my tank (on for around 6 hours daily), dosing with excel 7.5ml daily, trace 20ml every 3 days, flourish 7.5ml every 3 days, and the stress zyme 45ml every 7 days - I'm following the directions, dosage and intervals as recommended on the bottles. I'm feeding every 2 days, frozen blood worms and shrimp pallets for my bottom feeders. 

I have a powerhead which is moving the Co2 around, however I'm not sure if its in the right spot etc, I've tried moving it around and testing it in different areas to see if it would better the results, no such luck. x2 T5 Day lights are on for 6 hours followed by x2 T2 Blue lights for 4 hours. 

The plants are looking a bit brown, some leaves have gone almost transparent, some look to have some dirt on them (is that BBA?), and just not looking at luscious and green as when I first put them in...

Any assistance is extremely and greatly appreciated!! :) thanks. 

What filter have you got and what rating is your powerhead? What are the ratings of the lights too?

What plants have you got other than the Anubais? Anubais are quite easy to keep as they are very hardy so it will be interesting to see what other plants you're struggling with.

You need to ensure yo have decent flow around the tank and no dead spots. You might also want to think about an inline atomizer rather than the diffuser to ensure the CO2 is dissolved more efficiently in the water. I'm thinking about that myself as I'm not convinced CO2 is getting into the water as efficiently as it could.

And what is your CO2 method? Is it gas or something else? Do you have a drop checker to determine the level of CO2 in your tank?

JasonMichael said:
trace 20ml every 3 days, flourish 7.5ml every 3 days,
You need to feed them some proper plant food. If you stick with Seachem you'll want the Phosphorous and Nitrogen. Then as you're dosing CO2 you can probably triple the dose split between 7 days and you'll probably be on the right track.

Normally clear leaves is a lack of CO2, but if you're not feeding them it could be a mix of things at this stage.

IMO

SO19Firearms said:
trace 20ml every 3 days, flourish 7.5ml every 3 days,
You need to feed them some proper plant food. If you stick with Seachem you'll want the Phosphorous and Nitrogen. Then as you're dosing CO2 you can probably triple the dose split between 7 days and you'll probably be on the right track.

Normally clear leaves is a lack of CO2, but if you're not feeding them it could be a mix of things at this stage.

IMO
Hmmm, I'm a little confused haha. I thought P&N was in what im dosing already? 

Lunar Jetman said:
What filter have you got and what rating is your powerhead? What are the ratings of the lights too?

What plants have you got other than the Anubais? Anubais are quite easy to keep as they are very hardy so it will be interesting to see what other plants you're struggling with.

You need to ensure yo have decent flow around the tank and no dead spots. You might also want to think about an inline atomizer rather than the diffuser to ensure the CO2 is dissolved more efficiently in the water. I'm thinking about that myself as I'm not convinced CO2 is getting into the water as efficiently as it could.

And what is your CO2 method? Is it gas or something else? Do you have a drop checker to determine the level of CO2 in your tank?
Filter is fluval 406, between that and the powerhead which is 2600 l/h from memory, there is a good amount of flow in the tank. My lights are 54 watts each, so 2 Day lights at 54 each and same for the blue at night. 

To be honest, I've forgotten the names of the other plants haha! :| not much help i know. Hmmm inline atomizer you say? Hmm, are they expensive? currently I have a co2 bottle connected and is diffused into the tank (pics etc http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/406832-my-co2-system/) and the drop checker is reading a lovely green when i move it around the tank so I'm confused haha! I dont know what's happening! 

What's your set up like? Do you think moving to the inline co2 would be better? It's all automated in the sense that if it needs more Co2 in the tank it does it automatic right? 

JasonMichael said:
Hmmm, I'm a little confused haha. I thought P&N was in what im dosing already?
If you check the Nitrogen and Phosphorous on the Flourish analysis it's probably a tiny amount compared to actual Flourish Nitrogen etc
Flourish - Flourish Nitrogen - Flourish Phosphorous

JasonMichael said:
and the drop checker is reading a lovely green when i move it around the tank so I'm confused haha!
Again, I'd make sure the plants are well fed before drawing too many conclusions, but a green drop checker shows ~30ppm - If you're lighting is too high for that to be enough or you're flow is too low/high - You could still have similar problems...just the likelyhood is skewed one way or the other.....

IMO

Most reactions

Back