Not Fun

BigLou

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just figured I'd share my story with everybody.

Last night I was just sitting there at my computer and I heard a pop. I thought it might've been a light bulb pop or it kind of sounded like what happens when my Clown Knife hits the glass with his nose when he chases my green terror. So I just brushed it off as nothing and went back to what I was doing on the computer. Then I started hearing water pouring onto my floor. I didn't know where it was coming from so I looked around and saw that it was coming from my 30 gallon with two pink balloon kissers in it. At first I was worried about it flooding my room, but luckily there's a hole drilled through my floor right behind the tank because that's where the cable wire is fed through for my cable modem. It drained into my basement where it really didn't matter, so that was a relief. I hurried and moved my filter, heater, and kissers into an unused 10 gallon that I had next to it, so they are doing fine. Now I'm just dissapointed because I was planning on making that 30 gallon a nice community tank. I have no clue how it cracked, it just did. It's a nice crack from the front to the back of the tank on the bottom pane of glass. Maybe it was a weak spot in the glass, because I've had it up for at least 2 or 3 months. IDK...hypothesis welcome. Also...should I try to fix it or trash it. The crack isn't too bad...the reason I say this is because once the water got down to about 2 or 3 inches, it stopped draining, so it's just the weight of the water that was pushing the water out. If I should fix it, should I just silicone the top and bottom of the crack, or does anybody else have any other ideas. Well...first day of class...got work to do already...cya later.

If you want to repair the tank then cut the broken pane out with a stanley knife taking care to remove all the silicone from the edges and then replace it with a sheet of 8mm glass cut to size by a glazers using 100% pure silicone to reseal the joins.

Where did you get the tank and how long have you had it? (wondering if you still have the box it came in and/or the receipt)

Well, then there is always the option of repair. Many of my friends build/buy cracked tanks and repair them. You could repair it your self following CFC's direstions or take it to a glass repair shop.
Good luck what ever you do :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back