Not fish but heater

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My new Fluval heater stopped working and I didn’t realize until my bn pleco died it was at 62-63 degrees f I unplugged in a min ago and plugged in my old heater. What should I do because I do not know how long it was that cold in the tank

Slowly raise the temperature to where it normally would (or should) be. However, be careful because heaters are not intended to raise the temperature more than maybe 10 degrees above room temperature, so any overwork could finish the older heater. I wold do small partial water changes over the dayt, increasing the temperature a couple degrees with each, but go slow. Sudden temperature changes can shock and kill fish. Gradual increasing should be safe.

My new Fluval heater stopped working and I didn’t realize until my bn pleco died it was at 62-63 degrees f I unplugged in a min ago and plugged in my old heater. What should I do because I do not know how long it was that cold in the tank
Since the Fluval is new I'd return for replacement. I would also try to get them to replace the pleco. Sorry for your loss BTW. :(

Just a possible thought for the future. In the past, if I needed to replace a heater, I would put it in a large bucket of water to check performance and 'fine tune' the temperature. Of course this may not always be possible.

Did the Fluval filter have sufficient water flow passing through? How large is your tank and what is the wattage of the heater?

In my own experience and from what I've read in forums, the low wattage heaters like 50w tend to give out much more than higher wattage. I used a 150w in tanks like a 20g, and 100w in 10g. The only heaters in nearly 30 years that failed were two 50w.

From what I understand, you're better off using a higher wattage heater. The it's easier for the heater to operate below it's capacity than one that is struggling to keep up with it's capacity.

Most reactions

Back