Not Again

rgrrmg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well last time I saw these I thought it was a problem, and I tore down my tank added new gravel .
So I started all over again...

This time in my 12 gallon tank I added no fish or plants, I don't know if they're harmful or where they came from.

This morning I tested my water, the levels are ( fishless):
Ammonia:0.0
Nitrite:0.0
PH:7.5
Nitrate:10.0

So I dosed it with 3.0 ml of ammonia, then a few minutes later I look at the tank and there is tons of little white threads about 2mm long floating in the water.
What are these, are they harmful, and how did they get in my tank?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Thanks Kelly, the only thing that closely resembled what I'm seeing is the picture where it shows " Misc. Wormy things".
I don't have a microscope so I can't really see what they look like in detail. They just look like small white threads, and lots of them free floating in the tank.

Thanks Kelly, the only thing that closely resembled what I'm seeing is the picture where it shows " Misc. Wormy things".
I don't have a microscope so I can't really see what they look like in detail. They just look like small white threads, and lots of them free floating in the tank.

Its defos Planaria, nothing to worry about, wont harm fish. They will go once you add fish as they eat them

There are lots of small white things that it might be Betta 246. Planaria are only one thing among many that are small and white.

There are lots of small white things that it might be Betta 246. Planaria are only one thing among many that are small and white.
OM I found 1 on the front of the tank and I have a 10x jewelers loupe, so I looked at it and it appears to be red on close observation. It is about 2 to 3mm, and it is thinner a both ends don't know if this helps narrow it down...

how about tubifex worms? do a search. they are small for tubifex as they can grow up to like 3 inches, but maybe baby ones?
just a thought

how about tubifex worms? do a search. they are small for tubifex as they can grow up to like 3 inches, but maybe baby ones?
just a thought
Thanks, I'll look into it...as long as they're harmless I guess it won't matter what they are.

If they are free swimming then they aren't planaria More likely they are detrius worms, and they are a sign that you need to gravel vac more often. Perfectly harmless.

If they are free swimming then they aren't planaria More likely they are detrius worms, and they are a sign that you need to gravel vac more often. Perfectly harmless.
I guess that seems strange when I have never had any fish in this tank since I added the new gravel, and completely cleaned it out before adding the gravel.

Thanks

Most reactions

Back