Norwich At All?

I'm from Norwich too, and have been to a few fish stores in the area, the people at HB aquatics (off Fifers Lane) are nice, the manager is helpful and overall the fish look healty. They have a nice selection of Corys and others that you don't get in places like pets at home.

As far as the Giant Pet Store goes I had a conversation with the fish guy who said they were thinking about getting fish again as the sales for tanks etc dropped loads when they stopped selling livestock!

Im looking forward to the new place "Maidenhead Aquatics" to open at the back of Notcutts, although I would imagin it will be pricey being in there :(

Yeah, HB is good, I've been there a few times, their prices are ok and the owner has time to talk which is nice

I took a trip to Notcutts with a friend a couple of days ago expecting Maidenhead Aq' to be open already, they're still a couple of weeks away from opening apparently. they're getting ready for the tanks to go in right now. They are advertising for staff if any of the younger fish fanatics wanting summer work are interested :)

edit: Saffyfish is the person I've been to Swallow, HB, Fishworld, Notcutts etc....lol

Ohh poo

Ive come here way too late, Id have loved to work in a Maidenhead quatics in knotcutts. I only love in dereham, and my sister drives to city college lol

I havent been in HB aquatics for a loooong time, I still use Taverham, anyone know when Maidenhead is expected to open in Knotcutts, Ill definitely take a trip there.

Yeah I was in Notcutts the other day, they said it should be open at the end of June. It would be great if they turn out to be good since it is only 2mins down the road to me - much better than travelling 20mins to Swallows!

@FishKeeperPro - have they stopped recruiting now then?

I havent looked, will have to get my parents to take me there.

I sent Notcutts an email yesterday and they said it had been opened? Obviously according to you it hasnt?

I would trust them over me! It must have been 3-4 weeks since we were there now and they said it wouldn't be open until the end of June. Either the lady didn't know anything about it or they got their asses in gear!

i popped in on friday, deffo maidenhead aquatics all open

not much in the way of livestock but what they did have looked healthy and expensive £2.45 for a cardinal tetra ?!?!?!

not much in the way of livestock but what they did have looked healthy and expensive £2.45 for a cardinal tetra ?!?!?!

Oh excellent. Useful for when I need more bloodworm etc - will save the drive to Swallows.

On that note, anyone been in Swallows recently? Last time I was there I saw they started to get some tanks in. I am going to buy a 125L in a couple of weeks and am curious if they have continued to get more tanks.

ive just got back from swallows, they have a fair range of tanks and cabinets. they are also now doing rabbits, hamsters and budgies etc

Really? Hopefully they haven't cut down on their fish stocks to make room!

I gave them a call today - they remembered us and had even ordered a Roma 125 for us which should be in just after we get back from hols. Great service as always :D

I think swallow is the best around here but some fish are a little expensive but there great quality ive never seen a dead or even ill fish there.. I think that tank is way to small for the red tailed catfish. Is anyone around here looking for BNs i have a load of brown fry but they are all carrying the albino gene. most of them are about 1" now ad i should be getting some Ancistrus claro some which im going to try breeding.

I went in today and the cardinal tetras were 5 for £11. But then swallows were doing them 10 for £26 so maybe the price of tetras has gone up :/

I was pretty impressed to be honest. I got some bogwood which was £6.50 per kg - didn't think that was too bad. The fish all looked healthy and the sales guy seemed to know his stuff. They also had information up on myths of fishkeeping (e.g. a fish will grow to the size of the tank, you can put fish in a tank without cycling) which was responsible.

I'm in Norwich too, and pretty new to keeping fish. I've been into Maidenhead a few times, I didn't even realise it was new! I had a quick chat with the guy running it, whilst he was doing me a free water test, he's been very patient with me, I went in 3 times for free water tests without buying anything but he didn't seem to mind! Anyways, from what he divulged he said he used to be a paramedic in the military, and now hes selling fish as its been a passion of his for a while. I cant really compare on prices, the only other 2 places I've been are Pets at Home (lots of dead fish in tanks) and Taverham nurseries (really pretentious), Maidenhead is definitely my favourite place so far although I'll keep exploring. :)

Hi Microbex, welcome :) It is always nice to see another Norwich face! Good to hear how the LFS are treating newbies - by the sounds of it Maidenhead are doing ok so far!

Feel free to give me a message if you need anything.

I would say Swallow are def the best. But i haven't been to Maidenhead Aq or HB Aq (but im hopefully going to HB tonight!)
Giant pet store are selling fish again. Got some interesting ones in there (but not many) but i have had bad experiences with how they treat their fish in the past.
I would also recommed a trip to Highways garden centre. Its a out of the city towards Beccles but has got some nice tropicals in there

Also totally agree that Twiglett (the red tailed cat in Swallow) could do with a bigger tank...

also, does anyone know any good places that have a variety of catfish? i have got two common plec's and would like some weard and wacky ones...

Most reactions

Back