North London

AlexT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Alex from London here. Been out of the hobby for about 10 years. Used to have a 5x2x2 with Parrots, Bichirs, Rope Fish, and then I changed over to Malawi in that tank. Was also breeding Corydoras and raising fry in different tanks. 4 foot community planted tank as well. Gave it all up as it was getting out of control, financially as well. Had about 8 tanks at one point in a small 1 bed flat.

Back for round 2 now. Trying to be sensible. Plan is to get a 160L tank today and start with a nice size group of Corydoras, 1 BN Pleco, and a large group of small tetras. Planted tank, sand substrate, with bogwood. But do not want any breeding/fry this time round. Not for now anyway! Need to decide on my cycle model.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum :) I know the feeling of getting overwhelmed and having to take a break but when you get back into it, it does feel great. When I came back to the hobby I focused more on learning about plants and aquascaping - it helps limit the fish addiction side while keeping you engaged.

In North London you'll have hard water right? Have you thought about going for more hard water species that way your fish will live longer healthier lives. Things like livebearers (explore all the species not just the common ones), rift lake cichlids - Malawi and Tanganyika etc or even Dwarf Puffers would do great in this size tank in a good size shoal.

Wills

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum :) I know the feeling of getting overwhelmed and having to take a break but when you get back into it, it does feel great. When I came back to the hobby I focused more on learning about plants and aquascaping - it helps limit the fish addiction side while keeping you engaged.

In North London you'll have hard water right? Have you thought about going for more hard water species that way your fish will live longer healthier lives. Things like livebearers (explore all the species not just the common ones), rift lake cichlids - Malawi and Tanganyika etc or even Dwarf Puffers would do great in this size tank in a good size shoal.

Wills
Thanks again Wills for the replies today.

I hear you about hard water species to suit my tap water. I guess you are more talking about Tetra's? I know Corydoras originate from South America, but my intention was probably to keep Albino's and Bronze. I had them breeding when I was last in the hobby in London. I think I only had one adult death in about 3 years and no disease. They were prolific breeders once I started doing the cold water changes. I'm figuring that keeping non-wild Albino's and Bronze are fine in London if all other conditions are on point?

Thanks loads for the suggestions. I will look up those African species you mentioned in my planted thread.

Hi Alex,
Welcome to the forum, i'm a newbie myself, living in Thailand but used to live in Cable Street E1, where abouts in the smoke are you?

Hi Alex,
Welcome to the forum, i'm a newbie myself, living in Thailand but used to live in Cable Street E1, where abouts in the smoke are you?
Right by Alexandra Palace, postcode N22. I've worked in East London a good part of my life, but mostly E5, E9, and EC1. Thanks for the welcome!

Right by Alexandra Palace, postcode N22. I've worked in East London a good part of my life, but mostly E5, E9, and EC1. Thanks for the welcome!
Yer, know it well, I used to do scaffolding and worked on a couple of flats in that area..I used to live in a Tower Block bang opposite News International on the Highway. Heard everything has changed round there now. Was 3 tower blocks where I was lving, I know one as definatly gone but not sure about the other 1..the one i was in is still there but it has been all done up and new masionettes built.

Well hi there Alex,
Welcome to TFF and welcome back to the hobby... :hi:

Most reactions

Back