normal flourescent light

steve-0

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a regular flourescent light on my ten gallon aquarium, it almost soans the whole length. It does put out a lot of light but not too much that im blinding the fish. I was wondering if this light is enouhg for my plants to grow?

If its just a normal floresent light tube, then measure it and tell us and we can find out the wattage of it, and also what size tank is it on?

Steve,
You will get some growth out of a regular Flo on your plants. It will be no where as good as a bulb designed for plant growth. If the bulb is old enough for the markings on it to be gone its probably time for a new one a over time bulbs loose their ability to give enough for growth

HTH

Les

there were no label on it. Its a ten gallon tank, its almost 2 ft long and the light is just under 2 ft

Most likely if you are in the US, the bulb is only a 15 watt bulb. That seems to be the standard here. If you have changed the bulb, I have no idea what it could be but doubt its over 20 watts due to buying bulbs myself and finding nothing under that amount for that size tank lid.

In a 10 gallon tank the bulb seems much brighter than in a larger tank, but its only because of its size. We have successfully started plants under this wattage bulb, but have then transfered the plants to much larger tanks with greater lighting.

Fit a reflector to the tube to double the light output,this should be strong enough to grow plants under and will deter any brown algea.

Most reactions

Back