Nope, twice is too many times… not buying those type heaters again…

Mine is straight up/down. I get the LF (Low Flow warning) every so often, but confirmed with Fluval that they don't need to be at a specific angle. Its just placement in a flow area for the sensor which is at the top of the unit. They also stated that the heater will still function properly with the Low Flow warning, just as any other heater would in an area with limited flow. Even with mine, I don't know how I can get a LF warning since it is at the output of my filter and has a ton of flow at that particular spot.

I do love those heaters though.

There are tons of complaints that these heaters don't work properly when they are stood vertically exactly like you described LF warnings and even taking forever to heat the water. I've seen fluval comment to turn the heaters to a 45⁰ angle and presto, the water heats normally. Here's a typical comment I see all the time:

Screenshot_20240812_063646_Samsung Internet.jpg

This can be avoided by placing the heater at a 45⁰ angle near water flow. I've tested this myself by placing the heaters vertical and I can tell you without a doubt there's a huge difference in heating time or even just keeping a stable temp when the ambient temps are more than 10⁰ different.

There are tons of complaints that these heaters don't work properly when they are stood vertically exactly like you described LF warnings and even taking forever to heat the water. I've seen fluval comment to turn the heaters to a 45⁰ angle and presto, the water heats normally. Here's a typical comment I see all the time:

View attachment 347265

This can be avoided by placing the heater at a 45⁰ angle near water flow. I've tested this myself by placing the heaters vertical and I can tell you without a doubt there's a huge difference in heating time or even just keeping a stable temp when the ambient temps are more than 10⁰ different.
This heater seems a bit finicky in regards to position and water flow. What about the heater do you like that makes it better than its competitors?

View attachment 347265

That's interesting. I've never had this issue on my 75. The LF warning doesn't impact the heating nor stop it from functioning. To me, its more of an annoying warning. I've got a constant 78 degree's throughout my tank and no noticeable fluctuation. That is with a Fluval 407. The only thing Fluval made mention (in my questions to them) in relation to angle was using the 45 bracket to address the LF warning. That still had the unit vertically placed, but the bracket spaces it out from the glass and at an angle to the right or left. Is that what you are referring to? I'm sure there are complaints and issues like any other product out there. I just haven't seen the same thing.

Aren't most heaters advertised that a max of 10 degrees ambient is what can be handled? That's a big delta in most cases, but know some fish need higher temps. A few heaters I looked at all seemed to mention a max range they could effectively heat in relation to ambient vs programmed temp.

Not saying you are wrong by any means. Just stating that it is working for me as it should.

This heater seems a bit finicky in regards to position and water flow. What about the heater do you like that makes it better than its competitors?

It doesn't fail and it works. If it's placed correctly there are zero issues. I've talked to anyone and everyone regarding heaters. It seems that most people recommend getting a new heater between 12-18 months. I've had this model heater now going on 5 years without a single failure. I do replace them myself around 18 months but I keep the older ones for backup and for heating my mixed water before I pump it into tanks during water changes and have yet to have one fail. Those heaters are outside in the elements, from freezing temps to 105. I turn them off and on, unplug them, leave them laying on lids in the sun etc etc and they just work even after 5 years. I check my fill water with my certified thermometer and they all check out to within +/- 1⁰.

If I can beat the crap out of them like this and they still perform I'm sold

That's interesting. I've never had this issue on my 75. The LF warning doesn't impact the heating nor stop it from functioning. To me, its more of an annoying warning. I've got a constant 78 degree's throughout my tank and no noticeable fluctuation. That is with a Fluval 407. The only thing Fluval made mention (in my questions to them) in relation to angle was using the 45 bracket to address the LF warning. That still had the unit vertically placed, but the bracket spaces it out from the glass and at an angle to the right or left. Is that what you are referring to? I'm sure there are complaints and issues like any other product out there. I just haven't seen the same thing.

Aren't most heaters advertised that a max of 10 degrees ambient is what can be handled? That's a big delta in most cases, but know some fish need higher temps. A few heaters I looked at all seemed to mention a max range they could effectively heat in relation to ambient vs programmed temp.

Not saying you are wrong by any means. Just stating that it is working for me as it should.

If you were to take 2 of these heaters, 2 75g tanks filled at the same temp and place one vertically and one closer to horizontal, the one that was placed horizontal would heat up much quicker and you'd never get an LF warning. I've had issues with these heaters placed vertically, soon as I moved them to a diagonal angle of 45⁰ or more no more issues. Also can't emphasize enough these heaters need to be placed near water flow to work properly. Under your HOB, under the outlet of your cannister whatever you have. That's how I've found optimal performance with zero issues

My fish room in the winter can get down to high 40's to mid 50's. During that time I use wave makers to up my circulation with these heaters and they keep my tanks right where I want them, mostly around 82-83⁰.

On my display tank, 180g, I use 2 300w. It also has tons of circulation. I know most people keep their tanks in heated/cooled rooms in their homes so ambient temps aren't really an issue. These things have just performed over and over time and again for me.

Last edited:
You sold me!

I always buy a model up gwand. In my 20g I'm running the 200w, in all my 40g and up I'm running 300w. I believe this helps me with lower than normal ambient temps for my fish room in the winter. Disclaimer as well, I'm not saying any of this is gospel but only what's worked for me.
20240812_075509.jpg

If you were to take 2 of these heaters, 2 75g tanks filled at the same temp and place one vertically and one closer to horizontal, the one that was placed horizontal would heat up much quicker and you'd never get an LF warning. I've had issues with these heaters placed vertically, soon as I moved them to a diagonal angle of 45⁰ or more no more issues. Also can't emphasize enough these heaters need to be placed near water flow to work properly. Under your HOB, under the outlet of your cannister whatever you have. That's how I've found optimal performance with zero issues

My fish room in the winter can get down to high 40's to mid 50's. During that time I use wave makers to up my circulation with these heaters and they keep my tanks right where I want them, mostly around 82-83⁰.

On my display tank, 180g, I use 2 300w. It also has tons of circulation. I know most people keep their tanks in heated/cooled rooms in their homes so ambient temps aren't really an issue. These things have just performed over and over time and again for me.

Next time I'm doing a water change, I'll mess with heater location to see if it makes a difference in my tank just for S&G's. My current filter output fires right on the flow sensor so that may be why mine isn't as bad as some others see.

Well, I'll take that correction. Since sitting at 45 I haven't had 1 LF warning nor a RED high temp alert.

Do you think the heater can be placed horizontally and be effective?
Can't say. As it is designed, as long as it has flow it should be fine. Even with LF, it still heats. You just get the annoying warning. I tried the 45 degree based on the conversations in this thread and I get no warnings on it. Prior I got LF and High Temp, but the overall tank temp never fluctuated when I had thermometers at different points of the tank.

At the end of the day, I think the added tech is great, but it is also a PITA because its more that makes your brain wonder if something is actually wrong. You'd get the same flow and temps with a simpler heater, but no LCD to tell you what is going on.

Can't say. As it is designed, as long as it has flow it should be fine. Even with LF, it still heats. You just get the annoying warning. I tried the 45 degree based on the conversations in this thread and I get no warnings on it. Prior I got LF and High Temp, but the overall tank temp never fluctuated when I had thermometers at different points of the tank.

At the end of the day, I think the added tech is great, but it is also a PITA because its more that makes your brain wonder if something is actually wrong. You'd get the same flow and temps with a simpler heater, but no LCD to tell you what is going on.
The warning should probably not be ignored as if the unit gets too hot it will burn out faster. The key isn't angle but as you mentioned current flowing over the unit.

Most reactions

Back