Noob With Questions Alert!

ardandy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok here's my intended set up (picking up Friday).

I've ordered the Jewel Rio 125 tank as it fits perfectly on my side table thingy.

Also ordered with it the gravel, 2 Jewel Rock backgrounds and a few decorative stuff. The tank comes with filter/light/few other things. I'm ordering from my local aquarium who stock plenty and have been around for about 20 years so I assume know what they're doing. Still, I like to do my research hence why I'll be blitzing this forum! It's a tropical set up obviously!

I'll be setting up on Friday and then getting fish the following weekend (so about a week after filling it). It will be a community tank.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My questions are:

1, What other things should I order from the start? I'm talking little 'make life easier' things like a fishnet to scoop anything out etc. Any little in-expensive items that you only realised you needed after struggling for ages doing it another way?

2, Is it worth with a new tank getting any spare pumps/filters now or wait a month or so before getting them?

3, Will this do the job or should I get anything more specific or perhaps none battery based?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Aquarium-Wat...A1%7C240%3A1318

4, How long should I leave water thats going in the tank in a bucket to de-chlorinate it? Or would you just use the solutions in a bottle?

5, Given the amount of water I'd need for a new tank can I just put the water straight in from the tap and then de-chlorinate it?

6, I've been advised to use about 10 Neon Tetras just to get the tank 'going' before I get anything else, sound right?

7, I want something other than just fish and I was recommended that Lobsters will/might eat my fish and crabs could escape (big no no with the missus). They did say that these little tiny frogs go well in a community? Any other invertibrates/things that dont swim you'd recommend in a community tank?

8, We're definately getting live plants but I'm unsure about all these CO2 thingies? What should I get to keep/grow my plants? Will adding co2 etc do anything to the fish?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will have more questions but I can't think of them right now!

Thanks!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fishless Cycling

Have a read of the above before you go any further.

6, I've been advised to use about 10 Neon Tetras just to get the tank 'going' before I get anything else, sound right?

Unfortunately thats some pretty bad advice.

If you follow the above link it will take about 4 to 5 weeks to fully cycle your tank, then when you finally do add fish there will be maximum chance of the fish surviving and you will save any fish having to go through the process of being permanently damaged by ammonia.

It takes lots of patience but more than worth it in the long run :good:

Hi ardandy and Welcome to TFF! :hi:

Wow! A lot of members here on TFF really wish, in hindsight, that they had discovered this beginner's forum really early on in their new tank process like you have. The knowledge and experience you can tap into here are hard to find.

We get dozens of newcomers a month in just about the same state of affairs that you describe. You are headed, at a pretty fast pace (!), toward some big mistakes, from the sound of it. Contrary to what you'd think, its important to develop two very different relationships for supplies and information. The actions that make a LFS (Local Fish Shop) successful for 20 years are often very different from what makes an individual hobbyist successful and happy. Time and again we've had new hobbyists come here and slowly realize that somehow the advice they got from what seemed to be a friendly, old and experienced LFS was just dead wrong in some ways and got them in a lot of trouble, usually resulting in the extra purchase of more chemicals, filter media and fish than they would have needed, had they been experienced. Unfortunately, its what helps keep their business going a bit better. Its not universal, but its very important to understand this phenomenon and be skeptical.

cor2008 is right. You need to stop and read the pinned articles, take a deep breath and realize that this startup process is going to take a lot longer to "do right" than you expected. You need to understand and make this big decision about a strange thing we call "cycling," a term that's tossed around in the shops too, but is usually used incorrectly. In my opinion, for beginners, its a core thing of the hobby that needs to be learned and understood and done to your first tank, more important than many of the "looks related" questions you've asked, but those can get answered in good time.

Let is know if you have trouble figuring out which articles to read and its good to intereact about what you think they are saying. Many members here can help along the way. Your initial equipment sure sounds nice!

~~waterdrop~~

Please, please read and follow all the above advice :good:

Before it all gets lost, I notice you are using the Juwel Rock 3D background. You will need to use Aquatic Safe Silicone or water proof aquatic safe sticky pads. You will then need to leave it to air dry for minimum of 48 hours to 'cure' before even adding water......

Now research fishless cycle as advised........please :unsure:

Please, please read and follow all the above advice :good:

Before it all gets lost, I notice you are using the Juwel Rock 3D background. You will need to use Aquatic Safe Silicone or water proof aquatic safe sticky pads. You will then need to leave it to air dry for minimum of 48 hours to 'cure' before even adding water......

Now research fishless cycle as advised........please :unsure:

The LFS are cutting the rock background and fitting it for me. I'll ask what they're using to stick them on.

Been reading loads on here and my head is spinning a bit (ok a lot!).

Hey Ardandy,

There is a lot to take in at the start but once you get your head around it it starts to make sense & gets easier.

i guarantee that if you do a fishless cycle things will be easier (and less expensive) in the long run.
Theres loads of helpful people here so all you need is the patience bit ;)

I'd be very careful about putting your tank on the ''side table thingy'', too. Even tanks smaller than yours will need something that's up to the job. It's just not worth the risk. If you knock over a cup of tea, it looks like a bucketful, doesn't it?. Imagine a tankfull of water over the floor. I'd seriously consider putting it on something that's made for the job. Most important, as everyone else has said, is to take your time and read the pinned threads mentioned. It can seem a bit mind-boggling at first, but bear in mind that you want to KEEP fish, rather than just HAVE them. You're - sort of - local to me, so if you want any extra help/info/shop guide, PM me. Have a good look around t'net at the different types of fish available, get a list together, then come back to us. It's tempting, I know, but don't rush it.

I'd be very careful about putting your tank on the ''side table thingy'', too. Even tanks smaller than yours will need something that's up to the job. It's just not worth the risk. If you knock over a cup of tea, it looks like a bucketful, doesn't it?. Imagine a tankfull of water over the floor. I'd seriously consider putting it on something that's made for the job. Most important, as everyone else has said, is to take your time and read the pinned threads mentioned. It can seem a bit mind-boggling at first, but bear in mind that you want to KEEP fish, rather than just HAVE them. You're - sort of - local to me, so if you want any extra help/info/shop guide, PM me. Have a good look around t'net at the different types of fish available, get a list together, then come back to us. It's tempting, I know, but don't rush it.

The table shouldn't be an issue, its solid! As a test I had 3 adults stand on it and it doesn't even budge.

Besides the stand it can come with is just standard MDF with no special bracing etc. I'm more than confident its strong enough.

I'm still reading around on here its just confusing for some issues that have varying opinions. Like which fish to start off with etc, some say these are easy and others say they're hard, some say this will eat that and others say they're fine!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh! (head explodes).

Ask me to install a server into a massive network and I'm fine but getting a fish tank................ :crazy:

I cannot stress enough how important it is to follow the advice given to you by our more experienced memebers! i really regret not doing a bit more research first..... i now 2 fully cycled well stocked and maintained tanks but i lost a fair few fish on the way due to the often 'dodgey' advice given by LFS's!

in my experience they will always say neon tetras are fine in a new tank..... wrong! when you ask them to test your water, they will say 'oh theres ammonia there but thats fine its a small amount....' wrong again! get yourself a liquid test kit, its expensive but so worth it! you get lots of tests and you will always be able to find out whats going on in your tank at any time of the day or night!

there are pinned topics regarding fish that are suitable for newly cycled aquariums as well as stocking densities and which fish are compatible etc theres also some really helpful info regarding maintenance such as water changes feeding etc. sit down with a brew, print some off and have a good read!! you'll be so glad you did, i am!!

My plan is to have some shrimp (prob amano) in there so my fish will have to be kind to them.

Suppose that narrows it down a bit!

The table shouldn't be an issue, its solid! As a test I had 3 adults stand on it and it doesn't even budge.

Besides the stand it can come with is just standard MDF with no special bracing etc. I'm more than confident its strong enough.

I take your point, BUT the weight of the tank will be constant and over a period of time ANY weakness in the table's structure will be found out. Also, the stand you saw may be made of MDF, but it's the quality of the screws etc., that give it the strength it needs. Also bear in mind your insurance if anything happens with your table. If something goes wrong and you end up with water damage, the first thing your insurance company will ask is ''Was it on something made for the purpose?''. And if you can't say yes, you'll be - pardon the legal jargon - knackered. It really is worth the peace of mind.

Most reactions

Back