None Sinking Food?

jenny6165

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ok sounds like a silly question, but i completely forgot to look last time i was at the lfs.

can u buy none sinking food for tropical fish?
i have none sinking food for my betta, but thats specifically for bettas. does none sinking food exist also for tropical fish, as i would assume it would be easier to clean out any uneaten food, and also nothing it going to pollute the tank by falling into the gravel.

also, alot of my fish are eating the algae wafers i put down for the plecos, is this normal?

also, alot of my fish are eating the algae wafers i put down for the plecos, is this normal?

the wafers are okay for other fish, they have nutrients and aren't harmful (we've had little tiny platy fry try to munch on them, very cute!). Plus, you can't really put a stop to this, can you? :) Without dividing the tank for pleco feeding and such.

Flakes don't sink for a little while, until the surface of the water is disturbed or they get soggy (and the latter, by the way, makes even the non-sinking pellets sink eventually, if they stay uneaten long enough). If the fish are hungry, the flakes are going to be gone before they hit the bottom! Feeding fish in small portions (i.e., giving them only a small amount of flakes at a time) makes it less messy, they consume everything and search for more food, at which point you throw in some more.

I'm not too well-versed in the matter of various foods available on the market, so the above is just my insignificant $0.02.

The pellets I fed my bettas when I had them floated only for a lttle while. Once they become waterlogged, they sank.

I think you'll find this is the case with just about anything you put in the water. It may float for a little while - a few minutes or so, but will eventually sink.

As miriena said, your best bet is to not overfeed. Give them a lttle, and if that's gone very quickly, feed a little more. You quickly get to know how much you should be feeding.

there is a food called Tetra Prima, its advertised as a slow sinking granular food. i have not tried it myself so cant say how good it is, might be worth a try...

there is a food called Tetra Prima, its advertised as a slow sinking granular food. i have not tried it myself so cant say how good it is, might be worth a try...
a lot of our fish really like it :good: great for mid water feeders

king british make a floating cichlid food, as do tetramin
really good for keeping tank clean, if it isnt eaten in 5-10mins just scoop it out - easy when its floating on surface

Most reactions

Back