Non Shoaling Tetras

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i already have fast swimmers in my zebra danios and dwarf neon rainbows and although in time i will introduce differing tetra groups its the neons that i would like to convince to shoal i was planning on possibly going up from 10 to 30 but i dont want 30 individual fish dotted about, getting lots of good ideas from you guys though

I've been having the same problem.

I had 10 neons that didnt really shoal so I added another 9 cardinal. They still dont shoal...its just one big mess in there. I also added 6-8 (cant remember) Rummynose tetra and they shoal much much better.

I have a fighter in there. 2 angels (that were about the size of a 20p coin top fin to bottom fin when i got them, 2 Khuli loach, 1 rosy barb and a plec.

I would love something that would make the neons shoal more.

I had 10 neons that didnt really shoal so I added another 9 cardinal. They still dont shoal...its just one big mess in there. I also added 6-8 (cant remember) Rummynose tetra and they shoal much much better.

I have a fighter in there. 2 angels (that were about the size of a 20p coin top fin to bottom fin when i got them, 2 Khuli loach, 1 rosy barb and a plec.

Not gonna make your fish shol but triple the khuli's at least and they will become more active

i already have fast swimmers in my zebra danios and dwarf neon rainbows and although in time i will introduce differing tetra groups its the neons that i would like to convince to shoal i was planning on possibly going up from 10 to 30 but i dont want 30 individual fish dotted about, getting lots of good ideas from you guys though

If anything,upping the numbers will make them feel safer and therefore less likely to shoal, you're in a bit of a sticky situation really. I forgot to mention rasboras, things like harlequins shoal amazingly well. I wouldn't say it's a definite that these would make the tetras shoal because I've had no experience in the rasbora field but it could be worth a try. And I will say it again - BARBS something like Denison's barbs (yes, they are fairly expensive, but even something of a similar size and speed) these would move fast and are more likely to make your neons shoal that adding a cichlid that doesn't do much to even make them scared.

AmazonFTW

looks like i have a lot to consider, luckily it's not a pressing issue so no need for me to rush into anything, at the moment i do have a small group of copper harlequin rasboras which is one of the groups i plan on increasing in number, i have also been contemplating the addition of some cherry barbs would they have the same effect as the denison, which i have just discovered can grow to 6 inches, too big for what i want even tho they would obviousley be smaller to start with, some great information there for me to mull over

Not gonna make your fish shol but triple the khuli's at least and they will become more active

I plan too. They have actually become our favourite tank inhabitants.

ok now i'm thinking that maybe the scissortail rasbora as this fish grows reasonably large but is a good community fish and is also quite an active fish, maybe this would help the neons feel just a little bit intimidated enough to start shoaling. what do you think?

Most reactions

Back