Non Livebearers That Will Go With Platy

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I want something that isn't livebearer that will go with my 3 Platy. I can't find anything suitable. I want them to get on. I was gonna get 6 male guppies but worry I'll end up with some females and have loads of fry on my hands.

I want something that isn't livebearer that will go with my 3 Platy. I can't find anything suitable. I want them to get on. I was gonna get 6 male guppies but worry I'll end up with some females and have loads of fry on my hands.

I have cherry barbs with mine - they more or less ignore each other completely.

Corys for bottom fish - various different types which are small, male guppys - they are easy to tell if they are male - they will be more colourful(females tend to be just brown) and you can see they have a gonopodium under their belly - it looks like a long pointy fin, dannios for lots of lively movement, cardinal tetras for colour, rainbow fish for colour and movement. These are all community fish.

I was told not to get guppies because my PH is high. PH is 7.6 and high range PH is 8. Would Tetra and cherry barbs be ok with this PH?

I just got 3 platy today is it ok to go get cherry barbs today too. Was thinking of 3. And is it ok to get them from a different place?

I guess it depends on whether your tank is cycled and how big it is. If not it might not take the extra fish load. How big is the tank? Cherry barbs are very active and need a fair amount of space to swim around even though they are small.

I think if the tank is cycled then I would go for 1 male and 3 females and see how they get on. Then maybe add another male and female barb later.

However, a 60 litre tank should hold about 15 inches of fish if you go by the 1" per gallon rule of thumb (assuming an average of 2" per fish for platy and barb that would take you to the limit with 7 or 8 fish already).

I have 6 platy and 6 barbs plus 2 dwarf gourami in a 100 litre and I think I am pushing it a bit.

Most reactions

Back