No power

Tyler777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just came home from work n found out the block lost power 3 hours ago. So my 5 tanks are with no power no air bubbles no water flow . How long can fish survive without air bubbles n water flow n heater ?

If you aren't overstocked, a few days at this time of year.

if you are ever worried about the bubbles during electrical outages, you can get a battery powered vibrator air pump and air stone kit for minnow fishing from any sporting goods store. probably find them on amazon too.

I just came home from work n found out the block lost power 3 hours ago. So my 5 tanks are with no power no air bubbles no water flow . How long can fish survive without air bubbles n water flow n heater ?
how many pumps ? , you could get a 12v car battery , connect it to a 12v to 240 v inverter, cycle it on and off to make it last longer.

It all depends on the load though , if you have large heaters that will drain it faster, maybe best focusing on the air if the fish can handle the temp dropping, difficult situation hope the power is restored soon

My tanks are all over stocked, so I have alternative electricity, battery powered air pumps, tried to get all the bases covered

In a worst case scenario, if you have no power and the air pumps are off, take the airline off the pump and blow air into the airline. Do this for a couple of minutes in each tank and you will increase the oxygen level in the water enough to keep the fish alive for a few more hours.

If you have an external canister filter, take the outlet hose out of the aquarium and put it in a bucket next to the filter. Let the bucket fill with aquarium water then put the outlet hose back in the aquarium and pour the bucket of water into the aquarium. Do this once or twice an hour to keep the filter bacteria alive in the filter.

If you have a HOB power filter like an AquaClear, take a bucket of water from the aquarium and pour it into the top of the filter. This will refresh the water and bring the oxygen levels up so the beneficial filter bacteria don't die. Do this a couple of times per hour until the power comes back on.

-------------------

As others have said, battery powered air pumps can make a huge difference to the fish surviving a power failure. Try to get a big pump rather than a small one and use a plastic multi-coloured air stone on it. The plastic multi-coloured air stones have bigger holes and put less back pressure on the pump so the battery lasts longer.

Power inverters are available from any auto store and convert the car's 12 volt dc current into 220 volt ac current. You plug the power inverter into the car's cigarette lighter and plug the air pump or other electrical appliance into the power inverter. I used to run an extension cord from my car into the house when we had power failures. I plug a 6 pack (power pack with 6 plug sockets) into the extension cord and run filters and pumps off that.

-------------------

You shouldn't need aquarium heaters on at this time of year in the USA. Most people turn their heaters off in spring and turn them back on in autumn when the temperatures start to drop.

In my area we have 3-4 long lasting power outages each year that last several days. I finally saved up and bought a propane driven generator. We had an outage a few days ago and the generator kicked in. A great feeling.

It all depends on the load though , if you have large heaters that will drain it faster, maybe best focusing on the air if the fish can handle the temp dropping, difficult situation hope the power is restored soon
Well the power according to neighbors went out around 11 am n was supposed to be fixed by 5 pm. I just called the electric company n now they said byb9 pm
My tanks are all over stocked, so I have alternative electricity, battery powered air pumps, tried to get all the bases covered
Well I never thought this would happen. So I have no back up plan
In a worst case scenario, if you have no power and the air pumps are off, take the airline off the pump and blow air into the airline. Do this for a couple of minutes in each tank and you will increase the oxygen level in the water enough to keep the fish alive for a few more hours.

If you have an external canister filter, take the outlet hose out of the aquarium and put it in a bucket next to the filter. Let the bucket fill with aquarium water then put the outlet hose back in the aquarium and pour the bucket of water into the aquarium. Do this once or twice an hour to keep the filter bacteria alive in the filter.

If you have a HOB power filter like an AquaClear, take a bucket of water from the aquarium and pour it into the top of the filter. This will refresh the water and bring the oxygen levels up so the beneficial filter bacteria don't die. Do this a couple of times per hour until the power comes back on.

-------------------

As others have said, battery powered air pumps can make a huge difference to the fish surviving a power failure. Try to get a big pump rather than a small one and use a plastic multi-coloured air stone on it. The plastic multi-coloured air stones have bigger holes and put less back pressure on the pump so the battery lasts longer.

Power inverters are available from any auto store and convert the car's 12 volt dc current into 220 volt ac current. You plug the power inverter into the car's cigarette lighter and plug the air pump or other electrical appliance into the power inverter. I used to run an extension cord from my car into the house when we had power failures. I plug a 6 pack (power pack with 6 plug sockets) into the extension cord and run filters and pumps off that.

-------------------

You shouldn't need aquarium heaters on at this time of year in the USA. Most people turn their heaters off in spring and turn them back on in autumn when the temperatures start to drop.
Thank you for all your tips. I printed em out.
I had 2 angel fish in a 20 G tank with a heater that doesn't have a control switch n the water temp was going down quiet a bit n water was getting cold n angels weren't moving or swimming much so I kept making little water changes n adding hot water to bringvthe temp up.praise God it worked.

It is even simpler. Gasses are naturally exchanged at the water's surface when it is roiled. To let out co2 and left in O you can just stir the surface of the tanks for bit and do this at 30 - 60 minute intervals. Of course if the blackout is extended or you have larger tanks, then you need to have battery powered pumps. You can rotate them tank to tank up to a point. For heaters you would be better off with a small generator. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=battery+...ed+air+pump,aps,85&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_24

I had to deal with a similar situation many years ago. My tank of zebra plecos needed to be 80F or above. My solution for keepint it hos was to remove a pot of water from the tank and heat it up on the outdoor gas grill. Then I would return the heated water to the tank and repeat the process.

A better alternative, but pricier, would be a small generator for heaters.

It is even simpler. Gasses are naturally exchanged at the water's surface when it is roiled. To let out co2 and left in O you can just stir the surface of the tanks for bit and do this at 30 - 60 minute intervals. Of course if the blackout is extended or you have larger tanks, then you need to have battery powered pumps. You can rotate them tank to tank up to a point. For heaters you would be better off with a small generator. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=battery+powered+air+pump+aquarium&crid=29C8XP7DLH7TF&sprefix=battery+powered+air+pump,aps,85&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_24

I had to deal with a similar situation many years ago. My tank of zebra plecos needed to be 80F or above. My solution for keepint it hos was to remove a pot of water from the tank and heat it up on the outdoor gas grill. Then I would return the heated water to the tank and repeat the process.

A better alternative, but pricier, would be a small generator for heaters.
Thank you for your comment n for sharing the battery operated air pumps. I'm gonna buy a few

Most reactions

Back