No nitrates are present anymore.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tap water will show a reading for ammonia if your water provider uses chloramine to disinfect it. Chloramine is an ammonia and a chlorine joined together and the ammonia half shows up in the test.

Yes you do have some nitrate but not a lot. The UK allows up to 50 ppm in drinking water and in some places it is almost that high.
I'm in Scotland. From what I looked up, it seems my water provider does use chloramine in treating the water.

You mentioned in post #3 two days ago that you'd done a 100% water change then added 2 ppm ammonia. Yesterday the ammonia level had dropped substantially and today there is no nitrite.
To be 100% certain, you could try adding another 2 ppm ammonia and test both ammonia and nitrite 24 hours after - if they are then both zero, the tank is cycled.

I'm still curious as to why nitrate is so high, though. 2 ppm ammonia should be converted to 5.4 ppm nitrite then on to 7.2 ppm nitrate.
I have added Ammonia again and after 24 hours, these are the results.

Image 1: Ammonia and Nitrite
20210613_131319.jpg

Image 2: Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate
20210613_131313.jpg

That does suggest you are a long way from cycled yet. It looks as through you still have to grow a lot more ammonia eaters as well as nitrite eaters. If this was my tank, I would take it as the last dose you added was dose #2, and go from there. Start testing every other day and wait until you have zero ammonia then zero ammonia again two days later. At the second zero, add a one third dose of ammonia.
After the second ammonia addition (Dose #2), while waiting for nitrite to rise, peak and drop, the bacteria will need a maintenance feeding (Dose #3). Give the bacteria a “snack” by adding 1/3 of the full dose when you get two consecutive every other day ammonia test readings of 0 ppm

Most reactions

Back