No Fry But At Least One Platy Has Given Birth This Weeken If Not 2

pumpkinnose

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Butterfly gave birth Friday or sometime Saturday, the thing is I can't find any fry wich can also be explained by the fact I didn't feed them between Friday morning and Saturday morning. But it looks like Try has given birth also as she don't look as chunky and square and more rounded today. So that leaves me with a possible 2 pregnant platies left. The thing is I don't see any fry swimming even when I'm feeding. I want to try and at least let the little buggers survive and not become a meal for the others. The other six get fed 2-3 times a day and all look healthy although Jerry looks like he has no chunk on him at all. Plus when I feed the platies I also through in a few peas in the evening for my pleco so he has something else to eat then just algae. You don't think he's actually eating them do you? I've included a photo so maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I have the wrong plants or not enough protection for the babies. I just can't believe after two giving birth I haven't seen any babies.

DSC00979.jpg

Telling by the size of your gravel they may squeeze through the gaps and you may find them swimming about 2 days after :good:

I hope so. I was so looking forward to having fry in the aquarium thats why i never moved the girls.

i didnt see any fry until i was vaccuming (sp?) my gravel and noticed that what i thought was a stubborn piece of fish poop was actually a fry trying to rehide itself! hope you find some soon! its so exciting
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
fish.gif

Poe gave birth this evening and I pretty much missed the whole thing lol. Hopefully the little guys will make it through the cleaning tomorrow since my aquarium looks like crud. Hubby says though that by the time the girls give birth again I should have a small aquarium for a nursery plus the fry net..lol maybe instead I can talk him into a 20 and keep the 10 for a nursery lol

Poe gave birth this evening and I pretty much missed the whole thing lol. Hopefully the little guys will make it through the cleaning tomorrow since my aquarium looks like crud. Hubby says though that by the time the girls give birth again I should have a small aquarium for a nursery plus the fry net..lol maybe instead I can talk him into a 20 and keep the 10 for a nursery lol

When you clean the gravel/ vacuum it put a landing net/catching net under the hose as it draining out and if you accidentally suck one up you'll catch it in the net and not just throw it out with your dirty water ???

I found a dead one while i was cleaning other then that nothing. But i did see a live one earlier so hopefully there are still some alive

8 days and still no sighting of fry except a one or two the first day of poes babies. Not sure what to do

Last time a female sword of mine gave birth, I missed all but one fry. That fry was chilling out with my hoplo on the bogwood, out in the open. It now sits comfy in the fry net. X)

But still sad that I lost all the rest of the fry, because I was too lazy to wake up earlier.
I also had to cull 18 out of 20 fry of another female that gave birth before this last one. All 18 were deformed or swam upside down. Some died of hunger during the 3 days I gave them to fix their problems. That was even sadder.

Take all of the decorations out and look - 90% of the time I find fry but it might be a bit late for you tbh :unsure: Just do it, you might find some!

Most reactions

Back