No food for 7 days?

MegTheFish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok, next week I'm leaving on Saturday for Alberta and coming back the next Sunday. So my 7 bettas will be without food for 7 days (I have 8 bettas, but my other female is in a community tank and she eats what the other fish eat). My Nana (grandma) is coming in, but she already has to take care of ALL my other fish, my 4 budgies, my cockatiel, 2 cats AND my dog (the neighbor is helping with the dog actually). I think it would be too complicating to feed the bettas, because some need the normal sized pellets, some need the smaller ones, the lid on the divided tank is very hard to open, there's a chance that they might jump out of the tank to grab the food if she doesn't feed them quick enough, they might get constipated with only dry pellets (don't want to make her feed frozen) and those are just some of the reasons. Sooo...I've had a sick betta go a month without food before, so I don't think just 1 week will be a problem? What do you guys think?

Personally I don't think they will be any worse for wear..just feed them up real good before you leave. No different then a male staying in the tank with eggs 10 days..and not eating.

Just fatten them up real good with frozen foods this week. :thumbs:

Just seconding what was said above, feed them real good with some high protein foods, and they should be fine :) and be sure to give them a good water change before too (which I'm sure you know, but hey, thought I'd add it anyways :) )

Hey, good advice is worth repeating I say ;) :lol:.

SRC said:
Hey, good advice is worth repeating I say ;) :lol:.
Than here's another :p
I left mine for five days a couple weeks ago and they looked fantastic when I came home. No worries, yours can do it.

Why not have her feed them all the small pellets... I would think all of them can eat the small pellets. Once i was away for a week, and my betta was fine... although he looked miserable when I got back. My friend was supposed to feed him but he lost the key to my apartment!!!

I agree as well, my fish haven't eaten for seven days right now and they are fine :flex: Bettas are beasts :flex:

I'm going away for 2 weeks and I'm leaving my bettas and other fish in the care of my older brother, who I am usually left at home to baby sit because my parents fear that he may leave the oven on and burn down the house, kill my mothers plants, leave the doors all unlocked and the garage door open etc.. anyways enough about my irresponsible brother. I went out and bought the vacation food and so I'll do water changes and drop the tab things in before I leave and those are supposed to last for 7 days, and then I'll phone him and have him wander from tank to tank putting more vacation food tab things in the tanks and I won't stop bothering him until I hear the plunking of the tabs in the water and then I'll do water changes when I return.

But hopefully they will be better than leaving them with my brother for 2 weeks with no food at all, unless I phone him every day but that would get expensive. I know my 25 G tank should be fine because I can throw zuccini and letuce and stuff in their before I leave and then force my brother to do it over the phone. can bettas eat zuccini and letuce because I could throw some of that stuff in there and that tends to last in my other tank for 4-5 days.

:crazy: Eeek! Not the vacation tabs, you'll come home to a very cloudy tank and a bloated/dead betta. Please don't use them. They are H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. The betta is able to eat the whole thing in one setting, the the plaster (or whatever its called) will disolve into you water and make it extremely cloudy. They'd be better off for 2 weeks without you feeding them then with those things put in there.

Most reactions

Back