No filter tank issue

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Some may remember when I created a thread about my no filter tank I planned to set up. So I had it almost finished and I added the sweet potatoes last week which, for some reason, failed to grow roots and just rotted away. I have duckweed arriving tomorrow to complete the tank and my goal was to remove the filter tomorrow.

I need a change of plan. Garlic is an option, and i’m sure it would work well but this is going to be in my bedroom and the smell of garlic will not be too pleasant. I was thinking Golden Pothos, they look nice and will do the job in removing nitrates. Anymore ideas?

Some may remember when I created a thread about my no filter tank I planned to set up. So I had it almost finished and I added the sweet potatoes last week which, for some reason, failed to grow roots and just rotted away. I have duckweed arriving tomorrow to complete the tank and my goal was to remove the filter tomorrow.

I need a change of plan. Garlic is an option, and i’m sure it would work well but this is going to be in my bedroom and the smell of garlic will not be too pleasant. I was thinking Golden Pothos, they look nice and will do the job in removing nitrates. Anymore ideas?
This may be way off since I am new and dont know what your plan is...but...
I have had success with pothos, although I am running a filter. I am not sure if mine is "Golden" Pothos or not.
I usually make sure I put a piece with at least three little nodules of where it will root. So satisfying to see thise roots start to reach down; they are doing their job. I float or tuck them loosely around. Not as much luck planting although sometimes if they are near the bottom the will take root. I just pluck off leaves that start to wilt, as well as any other parts that get yucky.

I make my elderly Betta, Mr. Luna little beds here and there which he LOVES!

Bulbs like potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots don't tolerate being wet and will rot. If you want terrestrial plants to use nutrients, look at marsh plants like reeds and rushes, dwarf papyrus, Colocasia sp, water chestnuts, Amazon sword plants, Hygrophila sp, Alternanthera sp, Anubias sp, Arum Lily, etc. These plants all naturally grow in swampy conditions with wet feet and do well with their leaves out of water but the roots in water.

You can grow floating plants like Duckweed and water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) in the tank and they will use a lot of nutrients too.

Bulbs like potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots don't tolerate being wet and will rot. If you want terrestrial plants to use nutrients, look at marsh plants like reeds and rushes, dwarf papyrus, Colocasia sp, water chestnuts, Amazon sword plants, Hygrophila sp, Alternanthera sp, Anubias sp, Arum Lily, etc. These plants all naturally grow in swampy conditions with wet feet and do well with their leaves out of water but the roots in water.

You can grow floating plants like Duckweed and water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) in the tank and they will use a lot of nutrients too.
Odd you should mention reeds. I was trying to figure out a way to do reeds...(neighbor has some in his yard) do they need soil too, or just water? I thought I could use a plastic or mesh breeder tank, hang it with the suction cups. I already bought one! But I worry about what is in the soil...

Dwarf papyrus? Didn't even know it existed. I have some Annubius; hard to believe super glue in a tank! But if a kerjillion people have done it I should be a believer.

I have a teeny bit of water spite doing
semi-well. Also, I think I might be able to keep my latest clump of frog-bit alive. Have more trouble than I thought with that.

Would like to see a set up if you have anything. Very interested in the plant side of aquarium. In addition, ones half in half out.
Thanks for the post!

Your sweet potato rot because It's to wet

All the plants I mentioned need soil but they will grow when their roots are in water.

You put the plant into a pot with a basic potting mix (no fertiliser or wetting agents). Then get some 2 inch thick polystyrene foam and cut holes in it so the pots can sit in the foam but don't fall through. You cut a square or circle around the plant in the foam and you have a floating plant.

You basically make a polystyrene foam donut that the pot plant sits in and can float around the tank or pond.

I just got the regular water lettuce and love it! Grows like crazy, provides shade for fish, and they love hiding in its long , beautiful roots. I have to throw a couple away each week because they grow so fast.

I have seen people on YouTube using sweet potato’s. I know @WinterSoldier. Has used them in one of his tanks before.

@Deanasue is right on the water lettuce, Bettas love it and it looks great.

I just got the regular water lettuce and love it! Grows like crazy, provides shade for fish, and they love hiding in its long , beautiful roots. I have to throw a couple away each week because they grow so fast.
I must buy some, however I don’t see it often and when I do it’s quite expensive.

Most reactions

Back