Nitrite Spike

Asmp41

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ph = 7.4
N02 = 5
Nh3 = 0.02

I am unsure what to do, now the tank was cycled and fish have been added but today the Nitrite has spiked. This could be overfeeding or do you recommend a water change .

Rio 400
Loaches ,
Bala sharks
Gouramis
Plec
tiger barbs

Did you add all the fish at one time? Even if you do a fishless cycle, it's best to slowly add fish. Many people add all the fish at one time, and they're fine, but I think it's safer to slowly add the fish. Just do many water changes until the tank is cycled again. A water change every day or every other day would be fine. Don't know if the fish will survive though, as nitrites are almost as bad as ammonia. Ammonia is really bad, so you definately have to do water changes.

Ph = 7.4
N02 = 5
Nh3 = 0.02

I am unsure what to do, now the tank was cycled and fish have been added but today the Nitrite has spiked. This could be overfeeding or do you recommend a water change .

Rio 400
Loaches ,
Bala sharks
Gouramis
Plec
tiger barbs
I'll share our experience. We used biospira to "instantly cycle" our 75 US gallon tank. We never had an ammonia spike, but we did have nitrite readings for about 3 weeks. We did water changes that were sufficient enough to keep the readings at or below .25 ppm. We checked everyday and if a change needed to be done, we did it. One day we actually did two 25% changes. (To make the job easier we used a python water changer.) We knew that it would prolong our cycle, but we didn't want to stress the fishes. It worked. Our ammonia and nitriogen readings are now zero. And most importantly, the fishes look beautiful. They have grown and look more colorful than they did when we purchased them. They never showed any signs of stress (fin clamping, shimmying, hiding, etc.) during the process. We also never had an algae or a bacteria bloom.

It is also an excellent idea to decrease your feedings during this time. My husband wouldn't go for it. The sight of constantly hungry fish was too much for him! I have a little tank, and I did decrease the feedings and it really helped keep the levels of nitrites down, which meant less water changes.

When your nitrites finally hit zero you will be doing the happy nitrite dance! Oh, the little pleasures of life.

To stop a spike or mini-cycle you need to do exactly what you said in the subtitle - waterchange and no feeding to let the water balance out. You cant stop it dead in its tracks and frankly I dont think you should. Your readings dont even seem bad at all really either...

http://www.helpthefish.org/modules.php?name=tanktool

This has a water level checker. It uses the water level tables from Sera and Tetra... I ought to know because I coded it ;) Use this to see whether your readings are suitable for your tank, and dont try to keep your water levels absolutely perfect all the time either. Fish live in changing environments in the wild and they will survive more than most people credit them for...

Obviously this isnt a get off free card when it comes to changing water (cause you should do that when it needs doing of course ;) ) but dont worry about it.

I belive its one of the mods on this board that says "fish dont make fishkeeping difficult, people do" and theyre right. Check your levels and put your mind at rest :)

All that said... theres nothing quite like the feeling of the 0 nitrite dance ;)

Ph = 7.4
N02 = 5
Nh3 = 0.02

Rio 400
Loaches ,
Bala sharks
Gouramis
Plec
tiger barbs
I'll share our experience. We used biospira to "instantly cycle" our 75 US gallon tank. We never had an ammonia spike, but we did have nitrite readings for about 3 weeks. We did water changes that were sufficient enough to keep the readings at or below .25 ppm. We checked everyday and if a change needed to be done, we did it. One day we actually did two 25% changes. (To make the job easier we used a python water changer.) We knew that it would prolong our cycle, but we didn't want to stress the fishes. It worked. Our ammonia and nitriogen readings are now zero. And most importantly, the fishes look beautiful. They have grown and look more colorful than they did when we purchased them. They never showed any signs of stress (fin clamping, shimmying, hiding, etc.) during the process. We also never had an algae or a bacteria bloom.

It is also an excellent idea to decrease your feedings during this time. My husband wouldn't go for it. The sight of constantly hungry fish was too much for him! I have a little tank, and I did decrease the feedings and it really helped keep the levels of nitrites down, which meant less water changes.

When your nitrites finally hit zero you will be doing the happy nitrite dance! Oh, the little pleasures of life.

Thanks the same advice was given by lfs but no water changes .
It's better today.

Most reactions

Back