Nitrite and nitrate issues

Dek1

Reaction score
Hi Guys below are the readings I've taken today the first is of the water from tap and the 2nd is my tank these are the readings after a 50% water change. When doing the water change I put in 10ml of Microbe-Lift Extreme water conditioner and 60ml of Microbe-Lift special blend as my filter boost.
I was having problems with Ammonia but that has cleared over the last week since doing 75% water changes and using the extreme. I changed my filter to an oase biothermal 100 about 4 weeks ago as before this I was using a cf1 filter that came with the new tank, then I got told these were rubbish and this was causing alot of my problems. I still have both filters running in tank for last 4 weeks could this be my problem with the sudden spike in nitrites and nitrates, nitrates were always around the 18-20mg and nitrites were always .25mg what do you suggest. Any help would be appreci
Screenshot_20220609-073954_JBL PROSCAN.jpg
Hi Guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220609-073850_JBL PROSCAN.jpg
    Screenshot_20220609-073850_JBL PROSCAN.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
Dont concern yourself with nitrate readings until nitrite read 0 as Nitrate tests pickup nitrite too.

How did you go about swapping filters around? Was the filter media kept submerged in water that contained ammonia and nitrite? Was the filter media ever cleaned with tap water, subjected to temperature fluctuations or without water at all?

nitrate is only removed by bacteria that live in low oxygen environment. many tanks don't have low oxygen environments. so it builds up until a water change. So for you new setup your nitrate levels are not unusual. Also nitrate is less toxic than nitrite and ammonia. So when your nitrite and ammonia are zero your tank should be cycled. Many then confirm it is cycled by reducing ammonia. Then when ammonia and nitrite again go to zero it sold be ready, Perform a final water change to remove the nitrate and then you can decorate and add fish.

if possible also add plants. plant do also consume ammonia, nitrite quickly. But they also consume nitrate but at a slower rate. if you Have no experience with plants you can use a floating plant like salvinia, or red root floaters. IF they do well they will help the bacteria control ammonia and nitrite and then all help reduce nitrate. If floating plants don't do well you may not have enough nutrients to support growth A micro fertilizer with no nitrogen or phosphate may then bee all you need to keep the plants happy..

Most reactions

Back