Nitrates Are Lower Now, What Else Can I Do?

ProHaloSniper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

Like I have stated in previous topics, I have a 29 US Gallon Nano. Right now, I have 5 hermits, 4 snails, and 1 emerald crab. I usually feed my crabs once, sometimes twice a day with brine shrimp flakes.

I have been doing 50% water changes ever since my levels were off the map. Nothing was right...Some hermits died.

Tests, as of 11:15am est, Virginia:

sg: 1.021
Nitrites: 0ppm
Ammo: 0ppm
pH: 8.2
Nitrates: 20ppm (was about 60 before water change)
temp: 81*F

I know my Nitrates are still high, but what could be causing it? Should I just keep doing water changes? I have almost had this tank set up a month and a half and am really anxious to get fish, before I start on our 55gal in the TV Room.

Please lemme know what else I can do!

Thanks for the knowledge and info!!!! I certainly do appreciate this site. It has helped me ever since I joined about my sick Gourami.

Peace out! Thanks in advance.

--Jim C.

Well, what's your input water source (RO, distilled, DI, tap, etc)? Do you skim? Do you vaccum?

My input water source is tap. It is well water, so no chlorine here. and I vacuum.

Sorry I forgot that stuff.

--Jim C.

What did you mean "test for copper?"

You mean test my tap for copper? If so, I have that covered.

--Jim C.

have you tested the water....

1)before you mix salt (straight out of the well)

2) after you`ve mixed the salt.

We had a bad batch of salt a while ago that had got wet and was full of nitrates,

and also if your well water has a nitrate reading of 20ppm then you`l not get it any lower with that water.

have you tested the water....

1)before you mix salt (straight out of the well)

2) after you`ve mixed the salt.

We had a bad batch of salt a while ago that had got wet and was full of nitrates,

and also if your well water has a nitrate reading of 20ppm then you`l not get it any lower with that water.

Agreed, test both for nitrates :)

Most reactions

Back