NitrAte levels?

What is the most recent nitrate reading on your favorite tank?

• < 5 ppm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - 10 ppm

• 10 - 20 ppm

• 20 - 40 ppm

• > 40 ppm

• Total voters

modernhamlet

Just this guy...
Reaction score
While the general consensus seems to be 0 ammonia and nitrites, I'm curious to see what nitrate levels people have and tolerate in their tank. Any personal experiences on nitrate control, including water changes, stocking levels, plants, algae problems etc. are welcome as well...

I use the nitrate level as an indicator for water changes. Although i usually do a 10% change weekly, sometimes if the nitrate level is below 20 i will skip the change. if on the other hand i get a nitrate reading over 20 i will do a water change right away. I also use it as an indicator for overstocking. If the nitrate reading last week at this time was 15 and i added new fish and now a week later with the only change being new fish the nitrate reading is 25 i know i am approaching the max capacity for my tank environment.

Good Poll :thumbs:

5 mg/l now in the large tank, 15 mg/l in my dwarf puffer tank ( 1 1/2 weeks since the last water change). I have lots of plants and not that many fish. I usually change 50% weekly, but I have to reduce it a bit for the large tank, not enough nitrate there otherwise.

Since it finished cycling I haven't had a nitrate reading from my tank at all. I think the plants must be mopping everything up straight away.

Having said that, it's a relatively new setup so this may not last!

Most reactions

Back