Nipping Mollies

mattyb75

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this forum, I have recently bought 4 Mollies, 1-male(black, 1-female(black) and 2-female(white).
I have noticed that the 2 black Mollies are more aggressive than the white ones, is this normal or are they just sorting out the peckinbg order?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Matt
Essex
UK

It might just be them sorting out who is top dog (fish?), but would keep an eye on them.

Is the male hounding the females? As you said the white ones are the victims & seeing as they are females it might be the case...

I have 2 Black balloon Mollies & 3 Dalmatians in the same tank.

The Blacks ones get along fine (1 male & 1 female) however the male can become abit amorous! When the Dalmatians were introduced they were quite aggressive, no nipping just a bit of jostling etc. But now everyone has settled down (& ended up with 30+ fry!).

Best advice is to keep a eye on them. What size is your tank?

It might just be them sorting out who is top dog (fish?), but would keep an eye on them.

Is the male hounding the females? As you said the white ones are the victims & seeing as they are females it might be the case...

I have 2 Black balloon Mollies & 3 Dalmatians in the same tank.

The Blacks ones get along fine (1 male & 1 female) however the male can become abit amorous! When the Dalmatians were introduced they were quite aggressive, no nipping just a bit of jostling etc. But now everyone has settled down (& ended up with 30+ fry!).

Best advice is to keep a eye on them. What size is your tank?

My Tank is 120 litres, at the moment they are the only fish in the tank, as I don't want to over whelm the cycle and filter.

Matt

if you're still in the cycle, it's a pretty stressful time for fish, so it could be the extra stress as well.

The tank is nearly 8 weeks old, I also used a mature filter off a friends system.
I dont want to fully stock the tank too early as this will affect the cycle wouldn't it?

Got up this morning and they are fine not jostling or nipping.
think it may of been the stress of transporting from LFS to home.

Matt
UK

good to hear they're getting along better :good:

i just mentioned about the cycle since you said about not wanting to overwhelm the cycle/filter.

you might want to do some water tests, just to check if it's getting rid of all the waste, if it isn't then could be stress from the cycle, if not,it was probably sorting out the pecking order and a little stress from the move.

it'd also let you know if you're safe to add some more... a tank that size will look a little empty with only 4 fish

My PH is 7, NH3 is 0, NO2 is 0.1, NO3 is 5
I did a 20% water change last night.
Yes the tank looks very empty with just 4 mollies.
I am hoping to get some Clown Loach in a few months time.

Matt

yeah, but before hand I would just do a quick check to make sure the no2 has reached 0. once it'ssitting happily at 0 you should be fine, so shouldn't take too long. there must be some bacteria in there to bring it down that far, so it shouldn't take too long to multiply to the point where it clears all of it...

Can Clown Loaches co-exist happily with Guppies?
I am looking at getting 4-5 Guppies before the Loach.

Matt

Most reactions

Back