Night Lighting?

copps321

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have seen a few tank pictures videos etc that have night lights set up on them (blue, red mostly) just wondering why really is just preference or does it benifit the tank in anyway?.

as im just about to start setting up a new 4ft,2ft,2ft tank which is completly empty and has no lighting set up so i can do whateva with it (which BTW im looking forward to alot lol)

There are a few reasons for having it. I have it on my reef tank. My lighting controller is synced with the phases of the moon in my time zone so that when it's a full moon outside it also is in my tank, etc. The reason for this is that many corals spawn in relation to the full moon. Some fish do this as well.

I've also observed that my fish are more active on the nights of greater moon light (it's blue by the way) and seem to be less skittish at night because of it.

From a personal perspective I just like it as it is relaxing and inviting making an otherwise dark tank something to look at and enjoy even at night.

That must be some light unit you have tcamos!

I have read that some fish that are night dwellers, ie some catfish, will feel more secure swimming about in dimmer lighting.

That must be some light unit you have tcamos!
It is. I have the Sol Super Blues by Aqua Illuminations. They are LED's. I have three units hanging over my tank. I just ordered the new controller which does even more. My current one has thunderstorms and the new one adds clouds to that and a few other fun things. Each color can be set individually and there are 14 timers each with it's own ramp setting.

Jeez that all sounds quite complicated :crazy: but at the same time... pretty awesome!

Would love to upgrade my light unit to led lights.

It is complicated. I really only know half of what I'm doing. ;) I am really glad I made the switch to LED's. It gets quite hot here in the desert and the old lights (T5HO) put off a lot of heat. When I got the new tank it was too deep for those lights to work so I was faced with either getting metal halide or LED. Though the LED's were a little more costly when I figured up all the electricity saved, no bulbs to replace, and the reduction in heat they turned out to be much less expensive in the long run. I have a little LED on my sump and another little LED on my 6 gallon planted tank. I'm all LED now!

Using LED means no live plants though does it not? would love LEDs but also dont like the look of plastic plants

Using LED means no live plants though does it not? would love LEDs but also dont like the look of plastic plants
No, not at all. Corals of course require the light and it's the same photosynthetic process in the zooxanthellae as in a plant. Like I mentioned above my sump and my little 6 gallon planted tank have LED's as well. The sump has two kinds of macro algae in it and the planted tank has numerous plants that have been growing pretty much out of control.

I've just installed some blue LEDs which I have running along with my normal light, and it makes it a nicer effect. I then have the LEDs stay on for about an hour after the main lights, before they all go off for the night. They look awesome and very cheap!

Tcamos, can we see a picture please? I would love to see the setup if you are able to.

Tcamos, can we see a picture please? I would love to see the setup if you are able to.
Well, this is kind of an old shot, I haven't taken any new ones though you can see some of it on my YouTube channel. This shot is from May so you can imagine corals are much larger and I've also added quite a few. All the fish are pretty much hiding in this shot too there are about 30 fish in the tank. The anemone is a sebae (H. crispa) and is about 16" and has a couple of clownfish living in it. The tank is 210 gallons and is 6 feet long, 2 feet wide and 30 inches deep.
210_fts_05012012.jpg

Most reactions

Back