Nice Rock Found Giving Off A Stream Of Small Air Bublbles ?

pdludbrooke

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I found a nice bit of solid slate like rock toady covered in green stuff and mud, I cleaned it all up, put it through the dishwasher (no detergent) baked it for half an hour at 250 c and washed it again, then through the dishwasher again (no detergent) then rinced thoroughly, I have put it in an aquarium (no fish yet still cycling) and just now noticed a continuous stream of tiny bubles coming from one part of the rock, I have had a scratch and a rub of where they are coming from any ideas, is it safe for aquarium use ?

It's common to get trapped air in rock, that in itself won't do any harm; they'll soon disappear once the rock is saturated with water.

You really don't need to do all that stuff to make rocks safe (as long as the actual rock is safe); just pouring boiling water over it and letting it dry out completely is enough.

It's common to get trapped air in rock, that in itself won't do any harm; they'll soon disappear once the rock is saturated with water.

You really don't need to do all that stuff to make rocks safe (as long as the actual rock is safe); just pouring boiling water over it and letting it dry out completely is enough.
thanks, I have piece of mind again!! I checked the rock by putting white vinegar on it and no fizz, so thought it was safe, the air bubbles have began to slow, thanks again Fluttermoth!

I found a nice bit of solid slate like rock toady covered in green stuff and mud, I cleaned it all up, put it through the dishwasher (no detergent) baked it for half an hour at 250 c and washed it again, then through the dishwasher again (no detergent) then rinced thoroughly, I have put it in an aquarium (no fish yet still cycling) and just now noticed a continuous stream of tiny bubles coming from one part of the rock, I have had a scratch and a rub of where they are coming from any ideas, is it safe for aquarium use ?
I got to do something while my filter is cycling....................

Most reactions

Back