Newt/salamander..and

Jamie87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I was thinking of maybe getting a newt or a salamander or two..maybe more..in a 10gal tank.

I would have land.

And I was thinking maybe a betta...would that work?

Have the water about 6-7 inches deep..

Do you have a sponge filter? Newt skin contains high concentrations of toxins which tend to eek out into the water. If you either have a sponge filter or are committed to preforming weekly water changes, I'd say no. But if you're ready to commit to that then I'd say go for it. A small power filter might help as well.

Well although I don't understand how a sponge filter would help with the toxins from a newt, weekly water changes should be pretty much standard regardless of toxins :good: .
Which type of newt are you thinking of?
Some newts, and especially most if not all of the salamanders I've seen for sale could possibly eat the betta once they are fully grown.
And most of the common newts prefer cooler water than ideally suits a betta.

I've been researching this for a different reason, and there are *no* tropical newts or salamanders available in the hobby. Most newts actually need a chiller in room temperature (prefer water in the 50s during winter time). While they can barely tolerate temps in the high 70s over long periods, they will be stressed and die young.

If you want newts in a tank, have it be a "native US" tank, with fish like least Killifish, Florida Flagfish, and Pygmy Sunfish. Don't stick tropicals in there.

I would worried about any fish that has to live in 6 to 7 inches of water, period. Crabs can do that, but fish wouldn't be very happy in that little amount of water. :crazy:

my betta tank is 12"x8"x8" (3g) so i dont see why 7" water would be any worse really. so long as they have space to move about it should be ok

I don't know how a sponge filter would help. I read on Caudata.org, ask them.

Very few commonly available newts (but i dont know whats available to you in the U.S) will have toxins dangerous to fish, and a sponge filter would not make a difference to this anyway.

If a fish was to eat one of your newts then the skin itself could poison it, the same goes for if a human was to try that.

I have kept chinese fire bellied newts, cynops orientalis, with a hillstream loach, which worked well as he cleaned up their uneaten frozen food.

Not sure if i would recommend a betta as they may steal the newts food, or get be nippy towards the newts.

ive never tried this combination myself, but dont think i would advise it.

Most reactions

Back