Newest Aquascape

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just a few pics of my newest aquascape if anyone is interested, getting some seiyru stone in 10 days which will really finish it off nicely and once the riccia has grown through the nets more it should look pretty good. You'll have to excuse the co2 bubbles and all the equipment, it was a bit of a rush job last night but i managed to get the best pics i'v ever got of my male nezzys, these fella's never stay still so i'm chuffed to bits thats i got a few pics that weren't blurry, infact my fish were all out and about when i took these, it was about 2 hours after i released my newest addition, my new fry eater the pearl gourami (leeri), i can only put this down to curiosity as they are usually very shy when the lights are on. Notice the brilliant iridescent dorsal fin of the male in the last pic, i've never been able to capture that before, or ever seen it on the few online pics of these fish that exist, lovely stuff :lol:

345zq8p.jpg

260r1jp.jpg

vwc5x.jpg

wsu2wn.jpg

ajlz5j.jpg

mhd4xd.jpg

1z3x8qg.jpg

I adore your tank :wub:

I have done for ages, it's beautiful!

I've always wanted to do a carpet type thing, how did you do it? :drool:

thanks mewmew, riccia and hemianthus cuba (HC) are the best to use i find, HC just plants straight into the substrate but riccia is a floating plant so you need to tie it down, theres a few methods but i use the mrs' stockings, much to her annoyance :lol: , with good fertilisation and co2 it will grow nicely, once the riccia grows out some more this one should look good, especially after the seiryu stone is added. You can also use java moss, or any moss really and use the same method as with the riccia but i find after a couple of months it dies off quickly due to the bottom layer getting no light.

Its very easy to do in a nano tank if you fancy giving it a go, you wont need a pressurised co2 system, some liquid carbon like easyCarbo or flourish excel along with half decent lighting and plant ferts should do the trick.

I'll try and find you a good link for the riccia method....

edit: here ya go, this is a good one for riccia and moss, the only thing i would change about this is to use a finer net or more string to tie it down with, it lasts longer this way in my opinion.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/101806-step-by-step-guide-riccia-and-java-moss/

Great looking tank. if you dont mind me asking how do you go about gravel vaccing the tank if its carpetted with plants

That is stunning :drool:

Wish I had green enough fingers to do something like that myself. I like my fish too much though, and my fish like to eat plants too much :lol:

thanks mewmew, riccia and hemianthus cuba (HC) are the best to use i find, HC just plants straight into the substrate but riccia is a floating plant so you need to tie it down, theres a few methods but i use the mrs' stockings, much to her annoyance :lol: , with good fertilisation and co2 it will grow nicely, once the riccia grows out some more this one should look good, especially after the seiryu stone is added. You can also use java moss, or any moss really and use the same method as with the riccia but i find after a couple of months it dies off quickly due to the bottom layer getting no light.

Its very easy to do in a nano tank if you fancy giving it a go, you wont need a pressurised co2 system, some liquid carbon like easyCarbo or flourish excel along with half decent lighting and plant ferts should do the trick.

I'll try and find you a good link for the riccia method....

edit: here ya go, this is a good one for riccia and moss, the only thing i would change about this is to use a finer net or more string to tie it down with, it lasts longer this way in my opinion.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/101806-step-by-step-guide-riccia-and-java-moss/

Im gonna be busy for the next few weeks!

=]

A really nice looking tank, I wish I had enough money to buy good lights and non DIY Co2. :unsure:

How hard is it to clean that out?!?! It look gorgeous by the way. I will i could achieve somethink like that in mine.

Xxx~misscosmo~xxX

thanks for all the great comments guys!!!

Great looking tank. if you dont mind me asking how do you go about gravel vaccing the tank if its carpetted with plants

i don't, its beneficial for the plants, they act like natural filtration and you'v just got to keep on top of the water changes, routine and stability is key in tanks like this .

A really nice looking tank, I wish I had enough money to buy good lights and non DIY Co2.

it can easily get out of hand but if you shop around you can set yourself up with a decent light, substrate and a diy pressurised co2 kit for less than £200, and for your plants look on ebay or forums like this one and UKAPS are fantastic.

That is stunning

Wish I had green enough fingers to do something like that myself. I like my fish too much though, and my fish like to eat plants too much

you could do a simple hardscape with stone or wood, sumatra wood gives a great natural effect with its twisted branches and you could always add some non-aquatic plants to add some colour, your fish won't touch those and most lfs' sell them.

Very nice, wish I had the bottle to try something like that..... Well done :good:

Very nice, wish I had the bottle to try something like that..... Well done :good:

As I said in another thread, lovely tank. You should do a journal for it and post it over at Planted.

:good:

llj

Most reactions

Back