Newbie with stocking questions for larger tank

kadegio

Reaction score
Hello All,

We have a 60L tank currently stocked with 6 rummy nose tetra, 3 cardinal tetra, 1 river loach and 5 cherry barbs (1 male to 4 females as he's very energetic in his endeavours)

We will be upsizing to 200L as soon as we can get additional electrical sockets and new flooring done

I would like to research any new fish suggestions for the larger tank, can you give me ideas of what would live nicely with current fish?

So, your plan is to move ALL of the fish to the 200L when it is setup? This would be recommended as the number of fish that you currently have in your 60L (15 Us Gallons) makes that tank overstocked at the moment....and some of the fish currently in that tank should not be in a tank that small. I would say that you should up-size as quickly as possible. The Rummy nose tetras will especially appreciate this as they are active schooling fish that like to traverse the entire length of the tank, so a longer tank is important for them as well as the extra water space a bigger tank will provide. The Cherry Barbs should also be in a larger tank.

When you mention a river loach, do you mean a Hillstream Loach?

In order to make any suggestions for additional fish (once you get the 200L setup), we would need to know the GH [degrees GH (dGH), or ppm GH], and pH of your tap water.

Yes, the plan is to move them all to the new tank, none of the fish we currently have are full grown yet so that gives us a little time to finish renovations in the room where the new tank will be going

Yes, I mean Hillstream Loach. Place we got it used both names

I'll provide the other details when tank is set up

I would still suggest that you upgrade as soon as possible. Just because the fish are not full grown, does not mean that your tank is not currently overstocked (which it is). Even if the fish are not full grown, the rummy nose tetra, even when juveniles need lots of swimming room.

I wasn't asking what the water parameters are for your tank that you don't have yet, I was asking what are your TAP water parameters, as this will help us to make recommendations for the fish you already have, and any new fish you plan to purchase once you have setup your new tank. The GH and pH of your tap water will determine what species of fish you can keep. You can get test strips to test pH (if you don't already have them), and you can find out what the hardness (GH) of your tap water is by looking on your water providers website. Make sure that you know the actual numbers for the hardness (usually in degrees GH/dGH or ppm GH).. Often times water companies will state that their water is hard (when the water might actually be more on the soft side when relating to the fish keeping hobby)... So a statement of "soft" or "hard" alone, without the actual numbers or units is useless.

I would still suggest that you upgrade as soon as possible. Just because the fish are not full grown, does not mean that your tank is not currently overstocked (which it is). Even if the fish are not full grown, the rummy nose tetra, even when juveniles need lots of swimming room.

I wasn't asking what the water parameters are for your tank that you don't have yet, I was asking what are your TAP water parameters, as this will help us to make recommendations for the fish you already have, and any new fish you plan to purchase once you have setup your new tank. The GH and pH of your tap water will determine what species of fish you can keep. You can get test strips to test pH (if you don't already have them), and you can find out what the hardness (GH) of your tap water is by looking on your water providers website. Make sure that you know the actual numbers for the hardness (usually in degrees GH/dGH or ppm GH).. Often times water companies will state that their water is hard (when the water might actually be more on the soft side when relating to the fish keeping hobby)... So a statement of "soft" or "hard" alone, without the actual numbers or units is useless.
I’d say the main problem with that tank, especially if it’s a 15H is the cherry barbs, especially having 5. They are very active and will really benefit from the larger tank

It is a 15 gallon tank (60L). That is the size of the current tank. The OP plans on purchaing a 200L in the future. I don't feel comfortable recommending any species without knowing the GH or pH of the Tap water. As much as I personally LOVE Cories, I wouldn't recommend them without knowing the GH and pH and whether or not these parameters are appropriate for them.

It is a 15 gallon tank (60L). That is the size of the current tank. The OP plans on purchaing a 200L in the future. I don't feel comfortable recommending any species without knowing the GH or pH of the Tap water. As much as I personally LOVE Cories, I wouldn't recommend them without knowing the GH and pH and whether or not these parameters are appropriate for them.
I apologise if it seemed I was recommending, it was more a general comment for size of the original tank, I wasn’t suggesting they purchase it without knowing the tanks requirements.

I apologise if it seemed I was recommending, it was more a general comment for size of the original tank, I wasn’t suggesting they purchase it without knowing the tanks requirements.
No apologies necessary! I was just re-stating my position that I don't know what the OP's Tap water's GH or pH is, so I am refraining from recommending anything...and I was sharing that I would LOVE to recommend Cories as I have a soft spot for them :) ...

I was mostly pointing out the tank sizes, which in all honesty I am not sure I have converted properly??? Being from the USA, all of the liters and UK gallons being given on this sight are highly confusing to me!!! lol... I really wish that the US would adopt the Metric system!!! :D

No apologies necessary! I was just re-stating my position that I don't know what the OP's Tap water's GH or pH is, so I am refraining from recommending anything...and I was sharing that I would LOVE to recommend Cories as I have a soft spot for them :) ...

I was mostly pointing out the tank sizes, which in all honesty I am not sure I have converted properly??? Being from the USA, all of the liters and UK gallons being given on this sight are highly confusing to me!!! lol... I really wish that the US would adopt the Metric system!!! :D
I believe a 60L in the Uk is around a 16 gallon, 16.5. Again even in UK The gallon system is so outdated :/. Different areas have slightly different conversions. As fish keeping in uk is nowhere near as big as in America it’s often said a 20 gallon is a 70,72 litre tank

I believe a 60L in the Uk is around a 16 gallon, 16.5. Again even in UK The gallon system is so outdated :/. Different areas have slightly different conversions. As fish keeping in uk is nowhere near as big as in America it’s often said a 20 gallon is a 70,72 litre tank
So confusing!!! :unsure: So, I was close... it's not a 15 gallon tank, but closer to a 16 US gallon tank.. Yes, I agree the English system (gallons) is outdated, and if everyone just adopted the Metric system, things would be so much easier.

In fishkeeping, gallons are always US gallons.

The other problem with tanks in the UK is that the same volume often has different dimensions. A 60 litre tank can be 24 inches long, but there are some tanks which are almost cubes with a lot less swimming length. For example, there is the Juwel Primo 60 litre tank which is 61 cm (24 inches) long, and we have the Fluval Flex 57 litre tank which is 41 cm (16 inches) long.

In fishkeeping, gallons are always US gallons.

The other problem with tanks in the UK is that the same volume often has different dimensions. A 60 litre tank can be 24 inches long, but there are some tanks which are almost cubes with a lot less swimming length. For example, there is the Juwel Primo 60 litre tank which is 61 cm (24 inches) long, and we have the Fluval Flex 57 litre tank which is 41 cm (16 inches) long.
Yes, having different dimension tanks makes things even more confusing... as different "footprints" of the same volume of water could actually provide more swimming "space" for fish, depending on the species.

In addition to the volume increasing from 60 liters to 200 liters (= 15 gallon and 50 gallon, in round figures), we need to know the dimensinos (length and width) as this is the surface are of the substrate and the water surface, both crucial aspects of fish needs.

There are some stocking issues with the existing fish, regardless of the tank. Hillstream Loaches do not work with the other fish mentioned. They have very demanding and different requirments respecting water current and temperature. The Hillstream Loach could remain in the 60 liter tank, with a suitable aquascape: good current from the filter, room temperature, and smooth river rocks for grazing. None of the other mentioned fish will bee healthy in this environment so theey can go into the larger tank, with increased numbers for the shoaling species.

Most reactions

Back